Wednesday, July 7, 2021



We're back to more normal temperatures which I appreciate, as do my plants.  That tall, green plant on the right is a tomato plant that I grew from seed back in March.  I'm impressed at how well they've been doing.  I ended up with five tomato plants in total.

I had a tarot card reading from a lovely lady, which was spot on.  I'm trying to let go of my anger and grudges because I know I do hold onto them.  My two biggest problems which came up were my stubbornness and my defensiveness with ideas on how to deal with them.  My husband would agree with those two being my biggest problems, along with my impatience.  In my defence (yes, I get the irony) I am less stubborn and less impatient than I used to be:)  She also suggested I spend more time on self care and get in touch with the little girl I used to be.  I tried this last night and when I talked to her, the little girl I used to be, I ended up crying quite a lot.  It wasn't a bad kind of crying though, more of a realization of how vulnerable children are and how much they need to feel safe and loved.

This morning I'm going for a massage which will help my back.  It's been so sore these past couple of weeks, along with my right arm.  I try to ignore them but that doesn't really work.

I started looking into my geneology which has been quite interesting.  I found family going back into the 1700s on ancestry.ca, with a free trial.  I found a great-great uncle who was born in New Brunswick and a homestead in Alberta that my grandfather, or great grandfather (can't remember which), homesteaded in Alberta.  On my father's side there were a lot of coal miners;  and on my mother's side, I found a lot of military men in England and Ireland.  

It's the kind of stuff that leads you down a rabbit hole and it's been an enjoyable way to pass a few hours.  It may be slightly addicting.  I didn't realize my family had come to Canada earlier than I thought they had and I also didn't realize how much people moved around even in the 1800s.  I thought it was a modern phenomenom but apparently that's not true.  


This is my mum as a young girl, maybe three or four.  I can't ask her anymore and that's sad.  I still have questions for both my parents but I can't ask them and never thought to ask them when they were alive.  Maybe that's why I'm enjoying this genealogoy search, it feels like a connection to both of them.  Names will come up and then I remember something that my mum said many years ago and it's a connection back to mum.

I'm off today and I'm going to try to take it easy and spend some time in the woods with the dogs because we're all happiest there.


7 comments:

  1. Your yard is edenic! What a lovely oasis of color and calm!
    I think I may start doing some research regarding my ancestors. Perhaps I'll do a DNA test first. This could open quite a few cans of worms. But hell- why not? You have inspired me.
    You and I both have little girls inside of us who did not get the love and care we needed. That's just all there is to it. I think that I have a bit selfishly tried to reparent myself as I have parented my children and now my grandchildren. You may recognize that trait as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your garden or patio is just beautiful with the flowers and even the green of the tomato plants!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful garden! From talking to your inner child to connecting with your parents via geneology, you are on a journey. I hope it will be a good one.

    I think working mothers, esp. when working in the health care sector and where you are with terminally ill people, carry LOADS.

    I gave my man a DNA test for his 60th birthday and it showed that he was 99% Irish and 1% Scottish and that was it, and neither kings nor warlords in his ancestry, just all the cousins he knows about anyway because they all keep in touch one way or another. It is much more interesting for people on the American continent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your garden and pergola are places of true beauty. Isn't it interesting all the questions we think to ask of our parents after they're gone? Why aren't we more curious when they're still here. We humans are mysteries.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of my college boyfriends is the CEO of ancestry. Weird, right? He was the sweetest guy. I've done the genealogy thing, but there were no surprises. I am 51% southern Italian, about 13% Syrian and the rest a hodge-podge of English, Scottish and Irish. I've long identified as Italian, so that was a weird confirmation/affirmation. Perhaps where I get my suspicions and my melancholy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And, may I add, we are still those little girls. Just with a lot of extra layers added since then.
    -Kate

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not very "physionomiste" (is that a word in English), but is there a resemblance between your mom and Jack in that previous picture? Looks like it to me!

    ReplyDelete