Monday, July 19, 2021


The scene of the crime.  We went to the Lego store again yesterday.  Money exchanged hands.  There are now more pieces of dangerous plastic on the floor, waiting for an unsuspecting foot.  Jack loves ambulances, firetrucks, police cars and all heavy equipment such as excavators and dump trucks.  Poppa thought there should be a fire station, for Jack of course.  A good time was had by both of them.

The temperature has cooled down considerably here.  Today it's only supposed to get up to 16C, or 60F.  It's been smoky here since last Thursday because of all the wildfires burning.  I don't have any lung issues but for people who do, it's tough.  I'm off for another week, burning holidays.  Fortunately that doesn't cause any smoke.  I'm hoping to paint the downstairs bedroom this week but we'll see.  If it doesn't get done, I'll live.  

I finalized our holiday plans, booking the rest of the hotels for our trip and the ferry.  I made the big guy check the ferry trips because I may have booked the wrongs days last time we went on the ferry.  We're going to spend five nights in Ucluelet on Vancouver Island.  We'll also get to visit my sister and my brother which will be nice, as well as visit a lovely lady I met through blogging;  she lives in Nanaimo.

I suspended my ancestry account, as only two weeks were free, but I did manage to make it back to the early 1700s.  You don't realize how large your ancestor pool is until you start going backwards.  My family comes from England and Scotland for the most part, not wealthy people, coal miners, carpenters, servants and men who served in the military and militia.  So my family isn't just the people I knew, or the people my mum knew, it's thousands of people spread over centuries.  I came across one illegitimate birth so far, three if you add in my son and my grandson.  I'm thankful it's no longer such a stigma, although I wonder if it was such a big deal as we assume.  Men and women have been having sex without birth control since the beginning of time, whether they're married or not.  I imagine babies were folded into families, much like they are today.  

A great aunt of mine who lived in California.  It did surprise me how much my family moved around prior to the 20th century.  



I'm off to walk the dogs, before I talk myself out of it.








12 comments:

  1. I love the notion of babies being folded into the family :]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that you mention it, it reminds me of folding ingredients into a recipe, gently fold in the whipped eggwhites.

      Delete
  2. Jack is a lucky boy to have such an attentive and loving Poppa.
    And what a handsome couple! Yes. We tend to think that most people born before travel was relatively easy just stayed in one place but all we have to do is look around to realize that was certainly not the truth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised at how much travel there was but it does explain how scattered my family is today.

      Delete
  3. I imagine there were plenty of family dramas in all previous generations -- but they were hushed up or concealed as much as possible. My mother realized while doing genealogical research that my grandmother was born only seven months after her parents married! Hmmmmmm....!!! (My great-grandparents gave an earlier date as their wedding date, but documents don't lie.)

    That's a great old photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I found my mum's parents' wedding certificate, turns out my aunt was born six months after they were married. Mum always assumed they had to get married. They divorced after their children were grown and I'm sure caused a scandal in the 1940's.

      Delete
  4. My nephew has been looking into our family tree too and I'm sure once you get into it you get hooked (hence I don't want to get started on it). And I love that picture of Jack and his granddad - not sure who's having the most fun though! It's a toss up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jack and my hubby have a great time together. He's a good poppa.

      Delete
  5. Wonderful grandpa and grandson photo and photo of your great aunt and uncle.

    Happy to know you will soon be vacationing in British Columbia.

    Genealogy fascinates me. I know so much more than my parents did about their family trees and yet much remains a mystery in Ireland, Scotland, England, Norway and Germany. My father's lines in Norway are easily traced back to the 1500s because of meticulous church records, as is the line of half of my mother's German ancestors, also due to church records, but everything else goes quickly into tantalizing mystery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm finding the further I go back, the more difficult it is. Poor people didn't leave a lot of traces behind.

      Delete
  6. A friend of mine tried tracing my southern roots. It was interesting that there was no data on my maternal grandfather. He seemingly sprung up out of no where completely formed. She really made an effort, visiting court houses, the Mormons, and there was just nothing prior to him.

    ReplyDelete