Sunday, March 15, 2020



My son is from a relationship I had when I was very young.  I never married his father thank goodness but I have kept in touch with his family all these years, almost forty years now.  And apparently I hit publish instead of save.

I talked to my son's aunt the other night.  She's six years older than me and we've kept in touch off and on over the years.  She's a lovely woman.  She and her brother and sister are helping to keep their mom, my grandson's great grandma Mary, out of a nursing home.

I knew that Mary, I'll call her Mary, had been in residential school but I didn't realize that she had also spent two years in hospital in Edmonton with tuberculosis.  That's where she learned to knit.  I can't imagine spending two years away from your family, stuck in a hospital, as a teenager.  Mary is Cree and was born on a reserve south of here.  I can't imagine going to residential school either.  Mary has Alzheimer's now and is interesting to talk to.  She's always been a kind woman who always put her family first and she considers me family as well.

Last summer the big guy and I drove down to Red Deer to visit her so that she could meet her great grandson.  She was pretty happy.

This post is not particularly well written I'm afraid.  We've had the little guy for most of the weekend and we're both beat.  Back to work tomorrow.

Stay healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment