Monday, October 6, 2014

 
My favorite waterfall, Tangle Creek Falls.  The big guy and I spent the weekend in Jasper, wandering around the mountains, taking photos and walking our new dog, Annie.


Annie is a seven year old beagle with food allergies.  Who knew dogs could be allergic to foods.  They eat shit after all.  She is a lovely dog though, good natured and good with cats which is a plus.

I continue to think about death more than is probably good for me.  Another friend emailed me last week to let me know that she's just had a mass removed from her abdomen and that she would be visiting me at work.  I do love my work but I truly wish that cancer did not exist. 

I find myself often thinking about my girlfriend, saying goodbye to her girls, saying goodbye to her friends and family, to her husband and I wonder how she can get up each day.  But it's not like she has a choice.  I miss her already and she's not even dead and then I feel bad.  I know it's called anticipatory grief but it's still grief and that's exactly what it feels like. 

I try to remember there are always things to be thankful for.  I remember when the kids were little, sometimes the only thing I was grateful for was that I didn't yell at them that day. 

Today the things I'm grateful for:

The sunshine and warm weather.
Fall leaves and cool nights.
A full moon.
A weekend in the mountains surrounded by beauty.
Friends and hugs.
Help.
My bed.

What are you thankful for today?

2 comments:

  1. This morning, I was filled with gratitude for the autumn sun coming through the dining room windows and lighting on my yellow coffee cup. Despite the interminable heat and lack of rain, it was a beautiful Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your new dog is Adorable! (Capital "A" Adorable!) She looks like he is full of the beans and is going to give you a lot of laughs and love.

    ReplyDelete