Liz at Field and Fen wondered what a snapshot of my life would look like. This is what it looks like. I spend a huge amount of time in my kitchen. There is a bowl of ripe tomatoes that is waiting to be made into sauce. I have a box and another bowl of tomatoes in the pantry ripening, and another bag of tomatoes downstairs ripening. I'll have enough sauce to do us until next summer.
There is always a pile of paper on the island as well. Right now it's under the tomatoes. No matter how much I work at it, the pile remains. The composition changes but the pile remains.
The flowers are from my birthday on the weekend, Jack picked out both bouquets for me, one with his poppa and one with his other family (which shocked me).
My husband always leaves stuff on the island which I try to ignore but which I often just move into his office. You can see cords and the blue thing is a handle that he 3D printed for his walking stick.
The drying tray always seems to have stuff drying in it. There are lots of things I won't put in a dishwasher, water bottles, sippy cup, good cutlery, etc. It only gets emptied when I have more dishes to do.
The container on the bottom right I made in pottery class to hold Jack's puffers and other crap. There are meds on the counters that are used most days and there is a collection of meds by the paper towels that are new (for blood pressure, cholesterol, iron, and one for Jack). If I don't leave them out, I won't see them and I will forget about them. Out of sight, out of mind definitely applies to me.
You can also see the calendar which has everything written on it because otherwise I wouldn't remember:)
I don't mind being in the kitchen, but by the end of the day, I'm tired of it. Sometimes it can take an hour or more to make supper, which is fine it it tastes good, but it seems like such a waste of time if the food is only meh. I do try to make it taste good but I don't always succeed. Tonight will be chicken fried rice, made with leftovers.
As I sit here at my desk typing I can hear pears dropping to the deck as the wind blows the tree around. It's an ornamental pear tree. The pears aren't big enough to eat, but for some reason (I'm guessing all the rain), this year they're huge, big enough and hard enough to hurt if they hit you on the head.
I started pottery class again yesterday and we have a new instructor. She has forty plus years of experience and she's already taught us so much we didn't know, in just one class. I'm looking forward to learning more.
In an effort to avoid doing housework right away, I wasted half an hour looking at memes for y'all. You're welcome:)





OOOOOOH, a kitchen counter pic! Love it.
ReplyDeleteYour kitchen is nice and bright.
Happy Birthday, belatedly.
-Kate
I have two large windows in my kitchen which face east and south east, so lots of sunlight which I love. I love seeing how other people live too. And thanks for the birthday wishes. My next birthday will be 65. Yikes!
DeleteThe counter is definitely a slice of your (and everyone's) life. The pile! I have two smallish ones on my bar counter. That was the repository for my family's sh*t. I would clear it off/organize it and they would breeze in and dump keys, mail, papers, etc. there--very haphazardly. If looks could kill...
ReplyDeleteHappy Belated Birthday to you!! I'm glad the pottery class is going well and is interesting and informative.
I had a huge pile when my kids were growing up and my ex was a pilot and he had so much paper it was ridiculous.
DeleteThanks for the birthday wishes:)
What an EXCELLENT response to Boud's bio-photograph challenge! I must take a look around my place and see if I have any shots that would serve for me.
ReplyDeleteAnd of course, you KNOW I had to steal that Correctile Dysfunction meme, hahahaha!
You're welcome for the meme. If I could remember it, I would use it:)
DeleteSo much to ponder in this still-life. First thoughts? That kitchen says nurturing...and yes to that warm butter-yellow paint.
ReplyDeleteThanks DB. I love yellow, and green, and purple. I could go on and on.
DeleteI love this response. Yes, great picture of your life and times! Thank you.
ReplyDeleteThank you for asking me.
DeleteWhat a great post! Thank you. I'm glad you are going to that pottery class. 😊❤️
ReplyDeleteThat is a beautiful sunny photos - and I am sure that your food is up to scratch! I am impressed with your pottery offering.
ReplyDeleteYour kitchen is a lot tidier than mine. Our island collects everything and I need to go through it all more regularly and clear it off. It's ridiculous and it's stressful to look at.
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad your new teacher is so great! I do love our teacher but she's pretty much hands off unless we ask her things. Which I've just about stopped doing.
Oh well. I finished my fish today. I'll take it to get fired tomorrow.