Thursday, September 24, 2026




 I finally have my energy back and Charlie and I practiced Japanese interval walking, courtesy of Stubblejumpers Cafe and DB Stewart.  I worked up a good sweat and Charlie loved walking faster.  It reminded me of my forties when I was a racewalker; our training consisted of a lot of interval training.  I was never that fast or that slow, middling was my speed.  I did racewalk a half marathon about 20 years ago and did well, about 2 hours and 40 minutes.  I got to the end of the race and thought, there is no way in hell I would ever do a full marathon.

I went to pottery class twice this week, heaven.  Our new instructor has made a living as an artist and a pottery instructor for 40 years..  She knows shit and she's teaching us.

A friend of mine gave me this yesterday at pottery class.  She knows me so well.  Her husband helped us with our taxes this past spring and he told his wife about me after we first met, "She's a nice lady, but she swears a lot."  Yes I do.  I shall treasure this cross-stitch.


The weather has been nice here so Jack and poppa have gone to the skateboard park every night after supper for a good hour.  Jack is also sleeping in his own bed again, after 11 months.  Hurray.  I've been laying down with him at bedtime lately and he's so sweet to snuggle with.  He's getting so big too.

I've stopped bending over backwards to accommodate Jack's other family (his mom, aunt, and grandma), neither am I sugar coating anything for them.  I told the aunt, I don't lie and I don't sugar coat things.  It's not like I'm going to change.  Their family has a hard time dealing with difficult things and honesty.  Not my problem anymore.  Jack has lived here for almost six years.  He's pretty much a straight shooter too, but he never wants to hurt his mom's feelings.  He knows or understands that her mental health is fragile.

Katie has had five incidents in the last two weeks, since I cancelled our visit while I was sick, which is why I seldom cancel.  When we went out this past Sunday she was good and we had a good time. 

Counselling is going well, for me and for Jack.  His counselor is working on dealing with his trauma and also teaching him social skills.  She's a good woman.

Nothing much else going on.  Life is quiet right now and I'm good with that.


22 comments:

  1. I love that stitching! Same but in yellow, bwahaha.. Just check Jack's name back there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and I've fixed it. I love the juxtaposition of an old craft like cross-stitching and swearing.

      Delete
  2. Yes. Perfect stitchery.
    Now you can make a mug and paint/glaze it to say, "Give me my fucking coffee!"
    Levon still gets in bed with his mama most mornings for a snuggle. He's such a big guy man now in his mannerisms and words but in those minutes, he is still her baby. It means so much to her because she knows how fast this time goes. Besides, snuggling is the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don 't drink coffee, or much out of mugs really or I would:)
      Snuggling is the best and to me it means trust and love.

      Delete
  3. Japanese interval walking? Is that what Japs do during a break in a theatrical performance? Why don't they visit the toilet or buy little tubs of ice cream instead? Good to hear you have got your mojo back and you are motoring like a well-tuned car. I hope there are not too many exhaust fumes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some exhaust fumes but not always associated with the walking:)

      Delete
  4. I used to work with a colleague who was a racewalker to keep fit. So cool that you were a racewalker too! And now that reminds me of another colleague who was a stair racer, I think it's called, or perhaps stairwell racer. Anyway, he raced up stairwells in the tallest buildings he could find. And apparently there are formal competitive events for that -- of course there are! Meanwhile, I'm a total slug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a group of racewalkers who met at the Kinsmen Centre, a wonderful group of people led by an amazing coach. Stair racing would kill me.

      Delete
  5. I love that cross stitch. I read a column from a guy who hates tRump. Every tenth word seems to be something with the word "fuck". He occasionally posts a graphic just like yours. The title on his graphic is something like "the chances tRump won't say something really stupid."

    I looked up Japanese interval walking and it seems like it is a great way to get some low impact exercise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can definitely feel my thigh muscles this morning so I know I had a good workout.
      The chances that trump won't say something stupid today are always zero.

      Delete
  6. I think I like your friend's husband! I thought I'd be a jogger in the '70s. For maybe 3 days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was never any good at running but racewalking suited me perfectly.

      Delete
  7. All the thanks goes to Kate.
    That cross-stich is everything!
    This post really speaks to choosing peace for yourself. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My thighs are still sore from the walking but I like it and will continue.
      I love that cross-stitch. It's me. When mum died she had a rubber chicken and that was her.

      Delete
  8. Hurray for snuggling! That means so much. I’m so happy you are doing pottery. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even if he's been mad at me during the day or the evening, he still snuggles. I love it.

      Delete
  9. I love all the positives in this post; you've fought hard for quiet, peace and contentment--for yourself and for your family. The pottery is a healthy and enriching addition to your life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joining a pottery class was the best thing that I did in my retirement. It has given me so much enjoyment and I have new friends for this stages of my life. It's been very good.

      Delete
  10. It all sounds like Life: good for you I say !

    ReplyDelete