A very interesting piece of graffiti from the skateboard park. Jack came home from school yesterday morning because he felt like he was going to puke. I don't think he was feeling that sick but he also wasn't feeling that well either. I gave him the benefit of the doubt, part of the deal though was no park after supper. Sure, sure, sure. Of course after supper there were tears and begging but there was no park after supper. He did play in the backyard though and he enjoyed that.
I saw a doctor yesterday for my BP meds and I told her how tired I was. She asked me if I was short of breath. Yes I am. Do I have brain fog? Yes I do. Do I have headaches? No more than usual. She checked my ferritin and it's low and she ordered a ferritin supplement for me so I'm hopeful that I'll have a bit more energy sometime soon. I looked up old blood tests online and my ferritin has been low for the past 4 years which would explain some of the fatigue. I don't eat red meat usually and very little leafy green veg which is probably the cause. Last night I choked down some meatloaf and a spinach salad.
I worked in the front garden for awhile yesterday while Jack was home. I have a problem with gardening. I can grow just about anything but I suck at editing and pruning. Yesterday I did both so we'll see how things turn out next year. Because it was so wet this summer I spent very little time in the garden and it shows. Next year I'll try again. I removed almost all of the lamium and a few other plants that spread so much that they take over the garden bed. I want to try more rudbeckia in the front garden next year. I like the combination of yellow and purple, or blue. The delphiniums that I planted in the front are doing well while the salvia gets mildew every summer which I don't like, so the salvia got yanked.
Jack was kind enough to share his germs with me when he wasn't feeling well on the weekend. I had a sore throat when I went to bed last night and this morning I woke up with it still. When I went to talk, it sounded like I had marbles in my mouth. I used a flashlight and looked at my throat and it's quite swollen and boggy, including my uvula. Nothing much is going to get done today other than a couple of dog walks. My throat hurts like a bugger and so does my head. I'll live.


Have I mentioned that after I started doing the Japanese (interval) walking, my blood pressure came down? I'd been checking it every morning for the first week of every month, as advised by my nurse practitioner, and it was higher than normal until I started this kind of walking for the first half-hour of my 3-milers. So at least that's one medication I don't have to start taking.
ReplyDeleteGet past that sore throat soon, missy.
-Kate
I used to do interval training when I was a race walker. Maybe I'll give this a try.
DeleteI'm anticipating many more illnesses as we go into fall/school/daycare times. Sorry about the sore throat and stuffiness! I hate having a stuffy nose; I'm like a princess at night when I can't sleep. Afrin is the best for that but highly addictive. Hope Jack feels better and you too! I'd never heard of ferritin; I'm like you and don't eat much red meat. I'll have to pay closer attention to my numbers next time I test. It's weird how much we attribute to old(er) age, busyness and other circumstances in our lives--not thinking that it could be some kind of deficiency that could be rectified.
ReplyDeleteYay, back to school and the petri dish we call school. I guess it's good for my immune system, keeping it on it's toes:)
DeleteI'm really glad your doctor figured out the ferritin thing. And I really hope it helps.
ReplyDeleteFingers crossed.
DeleteI like the idea of editing in a garden.
ReplyDeleteSorry, but the sore throat is usually the first symptom of a cold, as I'm sure you know.
I just kept getting sicker yesterday. Ended up with a fever and spent all last night coughing and coughing.
DeleteI'm sorry about your sore throat, but that's good news that the ferritin could help. ❤️
ReplyDeleteIt is good news:)
DeleteLordy I hate having a sore throat, just hate it. Hope yours does not last long. Kids are such pertri dishes.
ReplyDeletePetri! Why don't I ever proof read?
DeleteI hate sore throats too but I've never seen the back of my throat so edematous. Very strange.
DeleteI hope you feel better soon. Low ferritin levels would most likely explain the fatigue and I hope a supplement ups your energy quickly!
ReplyDeleteMe too. I'm tired of feeling tired.
DeleteI have never heard of ferritin before. I hope this will help with the tiredness. I don't each much red meat myself. I could easily be a vegetarian, and I was one once. Feel better soon! Sore throats are no fun.
ReplyDeleteFerritin is protein which allows our body to store iron and use iron as needed. Low ferritin=low iron
DeleteFerritin is your iron storage for emergencies, but you know that. Will your doctor look into WHY yours is so low?
ReplyDeleteI well remember the endless string of viruses and their friends that school has on offer during the winter when kids are indoors at close range, winters with never ending streams of snot to wipe. Hope you can stay on top.
I haven't eaten any meat at all for at least 10 years and my iron metabolism is in good shape, and I eat spinach maybe three times/year. I know, anecdotal and possibly unwanted medical advice but do have them check this out a bit more.
DeleteI'm pretty sure it's from my diet but it also could be from the pills I take for my stomach. It's such a balancing act, this aging:)
Delete