Monday, June 1, 2026


The hot sunny days are gone, replaced by cold rainy days.  It's been raining since Saturday night, not a light rain either.  Heavy rain, flooding in places in the province.

I went to pottery this morning.  I tried new things with the glaze and we'll see how they turn out.  It's the only way to get better, practice, fail, practice more, fail some more.  It's a slow progression and the clay lives by it's own set of rules.  You can't rush clay, it will crack.  Clay has a memory and will try to return to the shape it once was.  Clay requires patience and practice, like most things in life.  Clay doesn't judge you and clay teaches you the beauty of imperfection. 

We're having some troubles with Jack which I can't write about, but which worry me and bring up old resentments of why are we doing this without help from the other guardians.  I always worry that things with Jack are related to his early neglect, and I don't know if things are a part of normal child rearing, or his trauma.  And sometimes I'm just tired of dealing with the shit that other people just walked away from.

Things I'm thankful for today.....

- Cinnamon Bun Cake
- Pottery
- Iced tea with lemon and ginger
- I cleaned the bathrooms yesterday and they're not dirty, yet.
- Pottery friends
- The three pieces of cinnamon bun cake that I ate instead of my lunch, although I have a stomachache now.
- Flowers starting to bloom
- I'm not American and don't have to deal with the embarrassment of having a cockwomble as my country's leader (sorry to my American friends).
- Knowing tomorrow will probably be better







27 comments:

  1. That's a bit to be thankful for, especially the cinnamon bun cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cake was delicious and worth the stomachache:)

      Delete
  2. That is worrisome about Jack and it's very hard to know where the feelings and behaviors are coming from. Age and stage? Past trauma? All of it? I would be extremely resentful about the lack of support and help. Your paragraph about pottery mirrors life so closely: fail, try again, fail and so on. "You can't rush clay; it will crack. Clay has a memory." True words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stubblejumpers CafeJune 1, 2026 at 6:33 PM

    There's a special place in heaven for grandmothers like you, Pixie-lou.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to laugh because I have a friend called Cindy Lou.

      Delete
  4. I had never heard the term "cockwomble" before. It is very appropriate for the current political leader of the USA. As for the latest issues with Jack that you cannot currently explain, I feel for you, I really do. You and The Big Guy have done so much to give Jack a far better, more secure start in life than he would have had if left with Gracie and her family. I hope you can ride out the latest stuff and get Jack back on an even keel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Things will work out, eventually, just sometimes I get tired of dealing with issues.
      Cockwomble is probably the most accurate description of trump.

      Delete
  5. I see how puzzling it is to figure out whether the issues with Jack relate to his early life or the changes he's had or his stage of development. But you still have to deal with what's there, no matter what the cause, with no help from the relatives. That would make me burn some bridges.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can't burn bridges. There is no way Gracie would ever give up her parental rights. Jack asked me the other day about why we had never adopted him and I had to tell him that. Jack loves his mom, despite her problems and I wouldn't take that away from him.

      Delete
  6. I'm an American and can hardly wait for this country to right itself. Is it strange to encourage every other country to hate that cockwomble at the head? Most of us feel the same. My father was born in Canada and all I have to do is get a copy of his birth certificate to apply for a Canadian passport. I'm almost 83 - can I get that accomplished?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine you can get that accomplished but why? trump will eventually die and hopefully the country can heal.

      Delete
    2. I have always wanted to as a tribute to my father.

      Delete
  7. "Cockwomble" is the perfect description of the demented asshat in the White House which, by the way, he is destroying. Every day is just a lark with him.
    Yeah. You stepped up to take on a responsibility that very few would have and of course no good deed goes unpunished, as they say. Please remember that you can only do the best you can do. As with clay, there are factors you cannot control no matter how hard you try and so outcomes are never quite what you expect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're doing our best but I also know how my best turned out last time:(
      Deep breathes. I'm off to the pottery studio this morning.

      Delete
  8. Have you ever seen that Samuel Beckett quote? "Ever tried, ever failed, no matter, try again, fail again, fail better."

    ReplyDelete
  9. Here's the recipe but I don't make the icing. There is such a thing as too much sugar:)

    https://therecipecritic.com/cinnabon-cinnamon-roll-cake/#wprm-recipe-container-52965

    Clay is good for me and teaches me a lot, plus you can beat on the clay.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Always tomorrow, yes. But cake now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad you are doing the pottery, and I'm so sorry you have so much to deal with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everybody has stuff in their lives that they have to deal with. I'm not special:)

      Delete
  12. Thank you for teaching me a new word this afternoon. Cockwomble perfectly describes that piece of shit in the White House. Have you ever heard of wabi-sabi? It is the idea that there is beauty in imperfection. I think I may have sent you this video before because as I was looking for it, a memory came back that I may have sent it to you. It is a great video. https://youtu.be/V1gxziZwmkc?si=bnpwFrjoNvzoPQWI

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wabi-sabi, yes, embracing imperfection. It's important when dealing with clay to understand that nothing will ever be perfect:)

      Delete
  13. Great new word!
    Yes to blooming flowers...there's more where that came from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cockwomble is such a perfect word to describe trump.

      Delete