Monday, May 4, 2026


Miss Katie had a tough time yesterday.  When I went to pick her up for lunch she was screaming and crying, and she had a whopper of a black eye.  She had a meltdown and smashed her face against something that did not move.  It's not the first black eye she's given herself, and I doubt it will be the last sadly.  We gave her tylenol #3 and an ativan which helped.  She continues to have abdominal pain from the ovarian cyst and right now she has her period too.

Katie has the most beautiful eyes, in my opinion.  If you look closely at the iris, you'll see the small white spot in the middle of her iris, that's the cataract that she was born with, the harbinger of things to come.

I didn't take her out to he mall but came back to my house instead.  She saw the dogs and the cat.  I fed her and then I took her back home.  I was exhausted and when I got back home, I lay down on the bed for awhile.  

I've been feeling overwhelmed lately, between Katie and Jack.  They're not so different those two, both requiring enormous amounts of energy.  Katie is autistic, Jack has ADHD, and then I wondered, is Jack also autistic?  I looked it up (of course I did).  What I found was not Jack but myself.  I found a site (many sites) about AuDHD


"The individual may regularly come up with new routines to try to stick to.
They may come up with new ways of doing the same thing or follow a particular process when trying something new. They try to satisfy their craving for new whilst managing their anxiety around change.
They may impulsively choose change, then experience anxiety due to the change.
They may regularly seek out new things, but only with familiar people and want to complete things in a particular way or following a familiar process.
They may regularly burn out from being too busy and overwhelmed socially, but struggle to slow down to recharge.
Their environment might become messy and chaotic easily, leading to overwhelm and difficulty functioning.
They may be hyper-organized to compensate for their disorganized brain.
They may feel anxious every day about running late or not being early.
They may have an exceptional long-term memory but a poor working/short-term memory.
Their intense/special interests may regularly change theme or topic."


AuDHD burnout isn’t about being tired after a busy week; it’s deep, persistent and often creeps up over months. Look out for:

Bone‑deep fatigue that doesn’t improve with rest.
Sudden drop in functioning - tasks you used to handle feel insurmountable.
Heightened sensory sensitivity and meltdowns - everyday sounds, lights or textures become unbearable.
Executive function struggles - planning, organising and self‑care go out the window.
Emotional rollercoasters - irritability, anxiety or tearfulness with no obvious trigger.
Loss of interest - even your special interests or favourite hobbies might feel like hard work.
Masking fatigue - you might find yourself fidgeting or speaking more bluntly because you simply can’t keep up the performance.

The strange thing is, I feel like I've been tired my whole life, and maybe I have been.  It takes a lot of energy to live inside my brain.  And maybe I'm not crazy, or the only one who feels like this.  Maybe there is a reason I have a hard time coping with the world.  And maybe it's not depression that I've been dealing with my whole life but neurodivergence.  

And that's where I am this morning; worn out but not the only fucked up person in the world which is a strangely good feeling which gives me hope.









25 comments:

  1. From what I've read autism often goes along with ADHD. I know in John's granddaughter's case, she has both. It's important to know who we are and how we deal with ourselves, others and the events in our lives. Self-awareness is key. I'm so sorry that Katie is having the cyst pain! It must break your heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rereading my blog post, so much of it applies to Jack as well. It can't change who he is, but it is good to know in advance.
      I made an appointment for Katie tomorrow to see her family doc.

      Delete
  2. You are one tough cookie, missy. -Kate

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie's eyes ARE beautiful. I noticed the colors before I even registered the bruise.
    Anyone would have a hard time dealing so successfully with the situations you are coping with. Most would not be able to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When Katie was a week old we were told that she might end up blind, that was the start of everything.

      Delete
  4. Yes, I think your self criticism is all part of it, too. You're carrying an enormous load, never stopping, yet you don't credit yourself enough. I'm not surprised you're tired. Who wouldn't be?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do judge myself harshly, but so does my family. I guess I learned it there.

      Delete
  5. If you are neurodivergent what does it really matter? You are you. You were a great nurse and in spite of everything you have faced you have fought hard to be a good wife, a good mother, a good grandmother, a good friend.and obviously a great blogger!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It matters because there is a difference between neurodivergent and depressed. And having more information allows me to hopefully cope better with my brain, and to have some compassion for myself. And thank you Mr. Pudding.

      Delete
  6. Here we have been reading a lot of Dog Man books and there is this one character called 80HD who has super powers and basically is a much cherished and admired creature, at least by the grandchild.
    Yes, Katie has gorgeous eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People with ADHD get stuff done, in a roundabout way. We also notice everything that is going on around us. 80HD is a great name, although it took me a minute to get the reference:)

      Delete
  7. Delicate like a hand-grenade, lol.
    Yes, she certainly does have beautiful eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as my sense of humour remains intact, I'll survive:)

      Delete
  8. Poor Katie, and poor Pixie. I think you are seeing a counsellor and I hope that helps a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous eyes. My friend, you are, in my eyes, remarkable. And very hard on yourself. I do understand the family aspect on that self recrimination. I hope for you to find the day when you realize the family attitude is not the definition of who you are.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My poor brain just gets overtired.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, I checked all the Boxes of AuDHD too my Friend... ha ha ha... I've always suspected I was undiagnosed on the Autism Spectrum somewhere, most Females don't get Diagnosed coz we Mask very well. Miss Katy does indeed have the most Beautiful Eyes! So sorry she harmed herself again. The Son is Mildly Moderately Autistic, with ADHD and Bipolar I, so... he has self-destructive behaviors at times but is very high functional. He self medicates with Booze... which, makes him just MORE Autistic. *Le Sigh* Jack, at least has you in his corner guiding him. I've been Tired probably my whole Life as well but I have abundant Energy from being Hyper and Bipolar as Hell, so I tend to keep going long after I should just Stop. It's all a process isn't it? Big Virtual Hugs from Arizona.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And hugs back to you Dawn. You're in the trenches most days.

      Delete
  12. The AuDHD "look out for" list is very interesting. It does indeed sound like the feelings you often describe here. Katie does have beautiful eyes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to educate her caregivers about how Katie feels and acts when she is overwhelmed by noise, or people, or pain.

      Delete
  13. Pixie, you certainly do have a lot on your plate. And Katie's eyes are just beautiful. "Could a greater miracle take place than for us to look through each other's eyes for an instant?" — Henry David Thoreau

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Imagine if we could truly know and understand what others think and feel.

      Delete