Friday, May 15, 2026




I caught this mountain sheep lamb rubbing it's head last weekend and the photo turned out well.  Blogger would not accept it at first because the file was too large, but I remembered how to change it to a JPG and voila, Blogger was happy to accept it.  Look at me being all technical.  I still think the PDF means pretty dense file, even though I know it really means portable document format (and yes, I had to look it up because I couldn't remember), but whatever.

Jack's other guardians wanted him to have an unsupervised sleepover at his mom's this weekend and I said no.  I stood up for myself, and for Jack.  Every time his grandma and aunt have said, Jack's mom is fine, she's not and this has caused so much trauma for Jack.  I told grandma that and requested a guardian meeting before anything like unsupervised sleepovers happen.  My husband and I want to see Gracie's apartment, we want proof that she has changed, that she's capable of keeping Jack safe.  Haven't heard back.

When we went to my niece's wedding last fall, Jack stayed at his grandma's house and she was supposed to be supervising Jack's mom, but she went out to a Halloween party.  Jack's mom watched a scary movie that Jack saw as well, and now almost seven months later, Jack is still sleeping in our beds because he's too scared to sleep alone.

Stuff like this has happened again and again over the past four years and my husband and I are left to deal with the consequences.  I also said that to grandma, and the fact that I'm giving up my retirement to raise my grandson.  Jack's mom continues to lie to him about her drinking, drug use, and past behavior and has never apologized to him or us for all of the shit she has put us through.  Not to mention the huge issues Jack has around seeing any kind of alcohol.  We start seeing a new counselor next week to help Jack deal with his trauma attachment problems.  

I felt uncomfortable saying all of this but nothing I said was untrue and keeping it inside of me is leading to resentment, not towards Jack but towards his mom, his grandma, and his aunt.  It's so hard for me to do this but I'm tired of being everyone's doormat.

Otherwise, life is fine.  Katie has been fine.  My son was happy to report that he is now signing the hour cards for the temp workers at the construction company he's working at.  A year ago, he was the temp worker needing his card signed.  He's doing well and starts at NAIT in the fall to do his first year of carpentry.  I'm proud of him.  He's in his forties now and it would be easy for him to just lay down and feel sorry for himself, but he's working two jobs and sees both his sons now.  He still has work to do but it's a beginning and I'm thankful for that.

I'm reading a new book for our Pottery Book Club, "The Correspondent" by Virginia Evans and I'm enjoying it. It's a book of letters that the main character has written over the years so at first it seems one sided but when I started thinking about it, that's how we live our lives, one sided.  None of us really knows how other people think or feel, except what they choose to tell us, and even then, many people (myself included), don't understand why they do the things they do.

Self reflection is hard and uncomfortable and requires some maturity I think.  God knows I had very little self reflection as a young woman.  It was all about me, me, me.  After Katie, everything changed and even now, writing her name brings tears to me eyes.  My counselor asked me if I thought I had any PTSD and I'm going to go with yes.  Katie's diagnosis and my life since then changed me.  Maybe Katie and I are too closely enmeshed.  I found this article.

"The causes of enmeshment can vary. Sometimes there is an event or series of occurrences in a family's history that necessitates a parent becoming protective in their child's life, such as an illness, trauma, or significant social problems in elementary school. At this time the parent steps in to intervene. While this intervention may have been appropriate at the time, some parents get stuck using that same approach in new settings and become overly involved in the day to day interactions of their children.

Other times, and perhaps more frequently, enmeshment occurs as a result of family patterns being passed down through the generations. It is a result of family and personal boundaries becoming more and more permeable, undifferentiated, and fluid. This may be because previous generations were loose in their personal boundaries and so it was learned by the next generation to do the same. Or it may be a conscious decision to stay away from family patterns of a previous generation that felt overly rigid in its personal boundaries."

It was an interesting read and something for me to think about.  Certainly Katie and I are far too close because when she hurts, I hurt and vice versa.  

On the upside, I am practicing letting go of my emotions, naming them, feeling them, and then moving on.  When I'm very upset and ready to cry (often), I use techniques to quiet my mind, like naming things that I can see to get my mind out of it's rut.  It's been helping.  I'm learning new tricks:)






35 comments:

  1. I'm so proud of you for standing up for yourself and for Jack. Although the other relatives won't like hearing the truth, it needs to be made crystal clear! I loved "The Correspondent" and never wanted it to end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It felt uncomfortable to do but I'm glad I did it. Now they know where I stand at least.

      Delete
  2. P.S. That photo is incredible!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds as if Gracie's family are in denial about her issues and think she can parent Jack. This is obviously not the case and the hard work falls to you and hubby especially when you have to pick up the pieces after visits.
    You are doing a great job and standing up to Grandma must have taken a lot of courage. Go you!!!!!
    You often say critical things about yourself but from where I'm standing Jack, Katie and even your son are very, very lucky to have you in their corners.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracie's family would rather not have to deal with Gracie but they put themselves there when they applied to be guardians. I think they thought it would all be over in a few months and the definitely don't like hearing the truth.

      Delete
    2. Stubblejumpers CafeMay 16, 2026 at 7:55 AM

      YES!!

      Delete
    3. That YES! was meant for the comment saying they're lucky to have you in their corners. Even I know how much that matters, and we've never even met.

      Delete
  4. Yes! Good for you for standing up for yourself! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to do and makes me uncomfortable.

      Delete
  5. Thank you so much for standing up for Jack. Where on earth is his other grandma's head thinking it would be ok to leave Jack with his mom unsupervised!!! I realize I don't know that family but it really does seem like grandma's selfishness probably didn't do Jack's mom much good growing up either, although of course drink and drugs don't help. On the other hand, well done to your son for pulling himself up by his britches!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grandma likes to do her thing first.
      I'm proud of my son.

      Delete
  6. You are stronger and make more sense than anyone else I have ever met. You are definitely a force for good in the lives of many people.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You sound as if you are doing a wonderful job for Jack. ( and Katie). I am in awe of you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That photo is amazing. We have nothing like that here in Virginia. Jack and Katie are both so lucky to have you. And good for you to stand up and say something to grandma. And good news about your son too. As I have told you before, he kind of reminds me of my older son. My son now has a steady job in construction and seems to be getting his life back on track.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love the mountains. I'm now planning a trip with my best friend, whose health is declining, and Jack, going back to the mountains.
      I'm glad your son is doing well also.

      Delete
  9. It's got to be so hard to balance all these competing family interests. Glad to hear your son is doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. First off- I'm so glad to hear that your son is doing well. It's truly hard to do what he's doing. Secondly, Gracie's family sound useless. And worse than useless- downright destructive and harmful.
    And last- what an amazing photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary. For so long I thought they would step up, hoped that they would, but I realize now that they won't. Time to stop hoping.
      I'm proud of my son for getting sober and getting a job. It's been a long time.

      Delete
    2. This is such good news, especially considering you'd given up hope. Maybe he's seen what you're doing and it's made him believe he too can do hard things.

      Delete
  11. You've taken the first big step with the other family. Good for you! Your son has transformed his life and you should be proud. He should feel proud. I think it would be impossible to not be closely tied to Katie. Retirement, such as it is, is allowing you some time to ponder and look for changes for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am envious of the other retired women who can travel as they please, but I am not unhappy with Jack. He's a good kid who deserves a good start.

      Delete
  12. Self-reflection may, as you say, be "hard and uncomfortable and requires maturity" but you're pretty good at it. Just sayin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I try to look inside but like other people, I can lie to myself as well.

      Delete
  13. For your pottery class I thought you might read books about pottery, glazing, slipware techniques and suchlike but hey, I guess I am rather old-fashioned in that regard. Good for you in not simply bending over for Grace's other grandma who had probably given in to another whimsical request from Grace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll see what happened tonight when Jack comes home. Nothing bad I hope.
      As for the Pottery Book Club, we usually only read books with loads of sex in them:)

      Delete
  14. good for you I say: this is what blogging is about: writing out own's thoughts and fears and goings-on and sharing them to see you are not alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I need to write to get things out of my head, and finding out I'm not the only one who feels like this, or has experienced something, is the icing on the cake.

      Delete
  15. I am glad you said no! We are all cheering you on. I am glad to see your sons sober journey is going well, and that he is seeing both of his sons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He still has a lot of work to do but he's taking the first steps.

      Delete
  16. I'm so glad to hear your son is getting his life organized and I hope he keeps going. He's doing well. As for the other relatives, I'd flatly refuse to have anything to do with letting Jack be around his mother. She isn't capable of caring for him. You're such a blessing to your family. But I wish it weren't so hard on you.

    ReplyDelete