Wednesday, April 29, 2026

I took Katie for her ultrasound on Monday afternoon.  Her caregiver had given her some ativan but she was also in pain so asked that she be given another tylenol #3.  She's been having pain all week.  When we got into the US room, I helped Katie lay down on the stretcher, at which point she started sobbing and continued to sob throughout the entire ultrasound.  Of course I started crying too.  It was heart wrenching.  

She still has ovarian cysts. She is still having pain and we still have to wait forever to see a gynecologist.  Katie doesn't understand why she is having pain and she doesn't understand why we have to wait so long for something to be done.  She also doesn't understand that she has to tell her caregivers that she is having pain to get some pain relief. 

I want to do something to help her but I don't know what to do.  She has pain medication and ativan to help with the pain and the acting out but I would like this to be resolved for her.  I had an ovarian cyst which had to be removed about 20 years ago, the good old days when the provincial government was not trying to dismantle public health care and specialist access was much better.

I was upset and emptied out after I dropped her off at her house, into the arms of strangers (to me).  I could not go home empty so I stopped at the greenhouse to refill my cup, just a little.  It helped, a little.

The snow has mostly melted and Jack had me out bike riding again yesterday, after school and after supper.  He's doing so well on his bike and cannot wait to ride back and forth to school.  I will be riding with him, so I'll be getting a fair bit more exercise, which is not a bad thing but my knees do hurt when I ride.

There has been some success in regenerating cartilage that gives me hope that one day I will not need a knee replacement but can regenerate my own cartilage.  That would be amazing.

A couple of friends and I have joined a pottery studio in Fort Saskatchewan which will allow us more time to work on our pottery and will give us access to much nicer glazes.  It's actually cheaper than the lessons we're taking right now.  My beef with studio we go to now is that 1.45 hours is not enough time to work on much.  It's hurry up, hurry up.  We have asked for a longer class, or more frequent classes but they don't want to do that, so we found someplace that will allow us more time in the studio.  We checked it out yesterday and it's lovely, so is the owner.  Tomorrow we're heading out there for 4 hours.  I would go for longer, but Jack get's home at 4pm and I have to be home for that.  

Taxes are done and paid.  Quilts are finished and the sewing machine has been put away for the summer.  Yard work should begin shortly.  I have crocuses coming up and the leopard's bane leaves are pushing their way through the soil, all signs of a true spring.  

 

33 comments:

  1. I wish Katie could get help faster, now that you know more about the source of the pain. You're doing everything you can right now.
    I love Jack's ambition to ride to school. And yours to accompany him. That will be a workout, because you'll be biking twice as much as he! He just goes there and back, you do it twice.
    Your pottery is really coming along. You need the extra scope at this point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I put a call into her family doctor to see what can be done for her. The pain is being caused by the ovarian cyst placing pressure on nearby structures.
      The exercise is so good for Jack, especially before and after school. He discharge some of his pent up energy.
      I would feel very sad if I had to give up pottery at this point.

      Delete
  2. The new pottery place sounds exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see how it goes tomorrow and can't wait to try out new clay and glazes:)

      Delete
  3. So hard to be Katie's mom sometimes! And to be Katie. Especially if, if she's anything like my Emil, she thinks her mom controls the universe so why hasn't she made this pain stop! -Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the sobbing that got me. She wasn't screaming, or biting, or hitting me, she was just sobbing. I wish I did control the universe.

      Delete
  4. Seeing someone you love in pain...it's the absolute worst.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. I would take her pain for her if I could.

      Delete
  5. It so hard to see Katie in pain and feel helpless to do much about it but wait. Go Jack!! And you😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think these cysts having been going on for a couple of years and the psychiatrist agrees. It would explain so much of her behavior over the last couple of years, and how random it was.

      Delete
  6. What an age we live in, pottery rollers are on line and available for 3-D printing. Who would have thunk. It hurts my heart that Katie is in such pain. That's a beautiful casserole.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Allison. I'm glad you guys got back home safe and sound.

      Delete
  7. It is such BS that Katie can't get the help she needs now.
    Our pottery class is two and a half hours long which is pretty good. There are hours in which you can go back and use the studio but it does cost a little money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nobody can get the help they need right now. The FAST clinic, an expedited service, won't accept new gyne referrals until July 2027. WTF!
      Katie was in a lot of pain yesterday and needed more meds. When I called she was screaming and crying. I talked to our doctor and she suggested we try birth control pills to stop her cycle. We'll have to try that for now.

      Delete
  8. I like the seasonal meme at the end. There are so many false starts and ifs and buts. It is just the same in northern England.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mother Nature likes to keep us on our toes:)

      Delete
  9. Just a quick comment - too much to deal with right now on this end - about cycling and your knee. Get some advice and actual measurements on how to adjust the frame, distance between your seat and the pedals etc from an experienced bicycle dealer or fitness coach. Cycling is great to help knee cartilage rebuild if you have a properly adjusted bicycle.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would like to think there was a surgery priority for someone who can't indicate pain or understand what is happening. But as you say, care levels have dropped.
    The new pottery place sounds great. I hope everyone enjoys it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is no surgery priority for disabled people that I'm aware of. Cancer goes first, as it should. Care levels have dropped dramatically here.

      Delete
  11. That makes me furious and upset that Katie has to deal with the pain. The waiting for health care and specialists is the same here; it used to be better but with you-know-who in charge, everything is in the toilet. Bike riding is so healthy although I'm terrified of riding on the road due to the crazy drivers. It's supposed to be OK on knees, I thought? The pottery class sounds excellent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't ride on the road. The road to Jack's school is very busy, but there is a walking/biking path built alongside the road and it's a straight shot to his school. Fortunately we have a lot of bike paths here. For the short time that there are no paths, I make him ride on the sidewalk for safety.
      I'm so frustrated with medical care for Katie too. I want to scream.

      Delete
  12. I’m sorry Katie is suffering. I do hope it can be resolved soonish for her. So great that you’ll get regular exercise riding with Jack to school, and then filling your cup with pottery in between.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pottery is amazing. I would encourage everyone to try it at some point in their life.
      The exercise is good for Jack and for me, but the different muscles being used are a little upset:)
      I have more letters to write on Katie's behalf.

      Delete
  13. I'm glad you found that new pottery place. You have so much to deal with. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I found the pottery place too. It's only been open 2 months.

      Delete
  14. Sending love to you and Katie and Jack. You've been through so much together.

    I'm in awe of your creative energy. First the quilts and now pottery, too, and the creative community you've become a part of as a result of learning to make pottery

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are an artist Amanda, I am in awe of you, but thank you.

      Delete
  15. I must be very hard to watch Katie suffer with pain like that, especially when she doesn't understand it. My heart goes out to you. Concerning the regenerating of cartilage, you should check with the White House as our fearless leader was able to grow back a perfectly healthy ear in just a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's awful watching Katie in pain. She hurts herself and those around her until the pain meds kick in.
      As for trump, it's not just him, it's all of those around him who prop him up. Even if he was dead, I think we'd all be watching a whole "Weekend at Bernie's" scenario.

      Delete
  16. Why are our politicians (in all our countries) waging war against the middle classes on behalf of billionaires? That's MY question. Katie ought to be able to get reasonable medical care on a reasonable timetable. It infuriates me that our "leaders" are so fixated on cutting taxes for the wealthy and cutting services for everyone else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with everything you wrote and it pisses me off that this is the case, but I also think that it's not so different from humans have always acted. The rich get richer and the poor get poorer. Eliminating poverty could be possible but then rich men wouldn't have their yachts and other shit that they buy to pretend that they won't die one day, and that nothing can stop that.

      Delete