Friday, March 13, 2026


 Hydrangea blooms at the greenhouse.

Jack pinched somebody on the bus yesterday.  We had a long talk about it.  It sounds like he was telling his "frenemy" H. about his upcoming birthday party.  H. has not been invited because I don't know his last name, where he goes to school, or his parents.  They ride the bus together.  But H. (probably jealous of a birthday party that he has not been invited to) told Jack that he was dumb and unlucky.  So Jack pinched him.

So basically two little boys, still learning how to deal with big emotions.  I'm 63 and I'm still learning how to deal with big emotions, but you can't go around punching people or pinching people just because you got your feelings hurt.  We're trying to teach him how to regulate his emotions, while I'm still trying to learn myself how to regulate my emotions.

Jack cried, "But I have ADHD!" 

That didn't fly.  ADHD is not an excuse for bad behavior.  It may explain bad behavior, but we still need to learn how to regulate those emotions that come out as behavior.  I am definitely the poster child for "How Not To Act" when upset, but I'm a work in progress.  We both are works in progress.

So we talked about how to deal with H., and he lost half of his video game playing time.  He's allowed 30 minutes/day.  After some loud complaining, he accepted it and found other things to do while I made supper.

I also had Jack's parent teacher interview this week.  He's doing well at school and his teacher said that now he needs to figure out a way to regulate himself, something that works for him.  He truly does have the most amazing teacher.  She's patient, kind, and compassionate.  Pretty much the perfect grade one teacher in my mind.  He's lucky.

It's still cold here. -19C this morning which sucks.  I don't know if it will get warm enough to walk the dogs today, we'll see.  

When I talked to my girlfriend the other day, she told me that her daughter is pregnant, which was a surprise for everyone.  Her daughter and her common law are excited to be parents but I'm sure they have no idea how hard it is to raise a baby.  They are both clean now and looking forward to the future with hope.  If only it was that easy.

I'm going to make a baby quilt for them, to welcome this baby into the world.  I've been collecting scraps of fabric from my fabric stash downstairs and deciding on a pattern.  What I need to do, is finish up my grandson's quilt that just needs binding on it, but I hate doing binding.  Maybe today is the day that I'll start that.  Maybe:)





 




26 comments:

  1. Another good learning opportunity for Jack. He's very lucky to have wise adults to guide him.

    It's not supposed to warm up until the middle of next week, that's what I hear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate the cold, especially when the days are getting longer. I wish I had a wish adult to guide me.

      Delete
  2. As Debra said, Jack is lucky to have caring, compassionate, and understanding adults in his life. He will be richly blessed in his future by having had all of you.
    Especially you.
    Let us not discuss fabric stashes. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How big is your stash? Enquiring minds want to know:)

      Delete
  3. He has a good teacher in you, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks but I wish I had a supportive adult to teach me as well.

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad Jack has you and that good teacher! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I'm glad Jack's teacher says he's doing well. That's a major plus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to see him reading and doing math.

      Delete
  6. Jack is on the right path, and I'm so glad you're in his life, as well as a good teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are all (at any age) works in progress; Jack is so fortunate that you are teaching him valuable life and people skills. A good teacher can make a huge difference and be an excellent resource and support for a child and for the child's adults.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ended up crying the other night when I was leaving the school and I told the principal it was because I was so thankful Jack had such a good teacher.

      Delete
  8. Dammit. I love binding - if I were closer I would do it for you.
    I am so pleased to read your answer to Jack re ADHD. I have a daughter in law who excuses her daughter's appalling behaviour as her ADHD/ASD diagnosis. There are no consequences for poor behaviour whatsover. This is the child who told me, her grandmother, that she fucking hated me and was going to smash my fucking car. She's 8.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that granddaughter sounds like a nightmare. They aren't doing her any favours.
      I did the binding yesterday and I'm getting better at it finally. It's wasn't horrible at all and I wondered why I put it off for so long:)

      Delete
  9. I guess every time Jack's behaviour isn't good, you calmly correct him, and repeat and repeat. But even adults without ADHD can struggle to control emotions and lash out, often in a bad way. Jack is fortunate to have such a teacher. A good teacher can change a child's life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not always so calm and sometimes I yell. I wish I was always calm but sadly, that is not me. It takes a lot of effort for me to rein in my own emotions.

      Delete
  10. What a shame that the friends fell out over misunderstandings. It is so hard - even as an adult - to find the right way to get through disappointment and communicate it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately kids are better forgiving and forgetting than adults are. I'm sure they'll make up.

      Delete
  11. It's also cold here and we are expecting 6-12 inches of snow. It is March, after all.

    ReplyDelete
  12. But I have ADHD! I hear you Jack! Sadly, it won’t fly and lucky you, you’ll bring us get to learn that early and be lovingly guided to alternate behavior choices. You’re both doing great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ADHD is not a pass, but something you learn to live with. It sucks sometimes but it's also helpful sometimes.

      Delete
  13. I used to quilt - a lot. I hated doing the bindings. The front side I could machine stitch, but the back I'd have to do by hand. It seemed like it took an eternity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sewed this binding by machine on front and back and it turned out really well, and it was so fast. I hate that hand sewing and it's not as strong. This quilt was for my four year old grandson and I knew it would be washed a lot, so I wanted it stronger. I'm now a convert. You sew it on the back first, and then the front. Will definitely do it again.

      Delete