My mother's hands. Today is my mother's birthday. She died almost thirteen years ago and I miss her still, although I no longer cry when I think of her. She was born over a hundred years ago, hard to believe. She met my dad during WW11, they married and she became a Canadian war bride. She also became a mother to twin girls ten months after she arrived in Canada.
I think my parents loved each other but life wasn't easy for them. They lost five babies between me and my sisters, and one of the twins was hit by a truck when she was 12 years old. My sister has a brain injury but in those days, she was just quirky. Then my parents had two more babies in the 1960's and raised my brother and I in a much changed world to that of my sisters.
She was a good mum and I loved her very much. She wasn't perfect, what parent is? I have her sense of humour which I value, I also have her arthritis and hypertension. She actually apologized to me for passing on her genes:) She was a smart woman who could have done anything she wanted, but at that time, women were not allowed to do anything they wanted. She became a mother and loved children and babies.
My dad was punching above his weight when he married her and I think he always knew that. She was a beautiful, middle class girl from England. He was a boy who grew up in poverty, his dad a logger, his mum a drunk, and his granddad a miner. The war brought them together and he never let go. She was the making of him.
Here is one of her favorite jokes.
The Queen was showing the Archbishop of Canterbury around the royal stables when one of the stallions nearby let out an extremely loud fart.
A little embarrassed, the Queen said, "Oh dear, I'm frightfully sorry about that."
"It's quite understandable, Your Majesty," the Archbishop replied after a moment. "As a matter of fact, I thought it was the horse."


What a great mom! Yes, I can see how you miss her. She had a lot of trials but seems to have passed her spirit on to you. So she's still here
ReplyDeleteShe sounds like an incredible person.
ReplyDeleteA beautiful woman with beautiful hands. I know you must miss her.
ReplyDeleteI had a laugh at the joke. It is an old one but it is a long time since I have heard it and I had forgotten the punch line.
ReplyDeleteMy paternal grandfather married above himself, four children later, they parted ways, rather she ran away with one of her music students to Sydney. Their son married above himself, my father. Four children later, they parted ways, he finding love with his best friend's receptionist. I'm pleased to know it can work, and that you have such good family memories. I think in such successful relationships, both learn invaluably from each other.
That is a funny joke. Your Mom had pretty hands.
ReplyDeleteYour Mom sounds like a great mother to have had. And she certainly knew a good fart joke when she heard one!
ReplyDeleteI loved my mom too — I had trouble eating for at least six months after she died. i’m glad you were also lucky enough to have a good one.. ❤️
ReplyDeleteShe was such a beautiful woman with a luminous smile. I needed the laugh from that joke! I miss my parents so much, especially at the holidays. They made everything meaningful and loving.
ReplyDeleteYour mom was lovely!!!!! I think that generation had it very hard indeed. Of course our stressors are different (and that's not to say we don't have them) but they were a tough generation. They had to be in order to get by. Mind you, there was also possibly a much more caring generation in that they helped each other out and I think that is one of the great losses of our times!
ReplyDelete* I think my parents loved each other, * the honesty of that stopped me.
ReplyDeleteMy photo book on the Fraser River, Vancouver, has a section on logging.
Your father knew all about it.
*She was the making of him.* Again, arresting.
Your mother's hands, such a beautiful image with the gold wedding band.
She is lovely. A strong woman, doing the best she could with the resources she had at hand (sounds familiar to me;) my grandad is still alive, and he apologized to my mom last year for living so long, since she has to help take care of him (she never complains, but what a thought from him)
ReplyDeleteYour mother must have been a wonderful person. I envy girls who had great ones. I sure didn't but it wasn't part of the plan. The joke is really cute.
ReplyDeleteThat picture of your Mother's hands is just wonderful. Happy Christmas.
ReplyDeleteI have been missing my Mom too and included some pixs of her last Christmas. No matter how many Years they've been gone, there's still an incredible void, isn't there? Merry Christmas... I enjoyed what you Shared of your Dear Mom.
ReplyDeleteThat's a great photo of your mom, and of her hands. I got a kick out of the joke!
ReplyDeleteHa-ha! That is a funny joke. I was not expecting that punchline at all. I still miss my father who died in 1979 and my mother who died in 2007. Why could they not stay? Part of me feels lost without them.
ReplyDeleteGreat joke. Your mother sounds wonderful.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading about your mum and seeing the photo of her hands. It made me think of my mother’s hands, and when I saw them for the last time. I do miss her. I liked the joke! Good wishes for 2026. Jean in Winnipeg.
ReplyDelete