Saturday, May 25, 2024


We've had a fair bit of rain so things are finally turning green.  The down side of the rain is the mud puddles at the dog park that call the dogs, like sirens calling sailors.  Retrievers are the worst, they can't stay out of the water and the mud.  I wonder how much time their owners spend giving them baths.  Charlie is always so much happier when he can just stretch his legs out and run full speed.  I'm happy watching him run like that too and I always feel better when I'm outside, walking.

Today the sun is finally shining so I'm planting the annuals I bought, so hopefully, two weeks ago.  I'm also fertilizing the lawn, picking up sticks that the dogs have pruned off my bushes over the winter and just a general tidy up.  I still have more flowers to plant but I'm waiting on my hubby to finish restaining the the upper portion of the deck before I spread dirt and water everywhere.  

My brother turned sixty at the beginning of the month.  My neice and her partner were here for supper when she mentioned that her mom, dad and brother had all gone on a European cruise to celebrate my brother's sixtieth birthday.  I DM'd my sister in law to wish my brother a happy birthday.  My brother doesn't have social media accounts, my brother is not allowed to have social media accounts actually.  He gets himself and others riled up.

Last week I texted my brother and asked how the cruise had been.  He called me back and we talked for half an hour.  We have had a difficult relationship since mum died.  I was angry with my siblings for a long time after mum died, how little they helped mostly with mum's care.  It seems I am the one who always takes care of people, including both my parents.  

Two years ago I reconnected with my brother and sister in law and my sister in law shared with me how much my brother suffers from depression; he was suicidal for awhile.  I didn't know but then I've never really shared much about my mental health with him either.  He's still a difficult guy to get close to, he keeps people away with sarcasm mostly.  I keep people away by just closing myself off.  I realized we're not so different.

Mostly though I realized he's the only one who remembers what it was like growing up in our house.  My sisters were grown and married by the time we were five and six years old.  I want to talk to him about our lives, our family, what it was like growing up in that house.  We have that connection.  I want to have my brother in my life. 

So my brother and I talked and as he was saying goodbye, he said, "I love you." and I said, "I love you too." and I realized it was true.  Life always surprises me.


24 comments:

  1. Does your brother live in Alberta or some place else? I hope you will maintain phone contact. He didn't have to say, "I love you" and that declaration can be very hard to say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My brother lives in the interior ofBC, about a twelve hour drive away. I was quite surprised he said that because I'm not sure he ever has said that to me before. He's talking about driving out this summer to visit. His daughter lives within walking distance of our house and his best friend lives in Edmonton.

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad you had that conversation and said those words. Both brothers who would remember our life growing up (which was mostly idyllic) died a long time ago. My only surviving brother is nearly 15 years younger, so he was like an only child in a different family. I love being outside, walking, as well as planting things. It's such a renewal of my spirit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sisters and my brother and I grew up in differrent families too. My sisters are sixteen years older than me. It was so nice talking to him.
      Walking in the fresh air, preferably with trees and if I'm lucky, a river or lake, a little bit of heaven.

      Delete
  3. That's a nice story to read. Keep on making an effort.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems a good beginning and now that you retire maybe you will have the time and space to connect with him much better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My brother is thinking about retiring as well but he's not quite ready. His family wants him to retire, so as an alternative, he's decided to take the summer off and see how that goes. I'm looking forward to spending some time with him this summer.

      Delete
  5. I'm so glad you got to tell each other you loved each other! Sometimes it can be the hardest thing to say but let's hope that dam has burst and you can keep in contact now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will try to keep my expectations low and play it by ear.

      Delete
  6. If your brother does come to visit this summer, hopefully your reconnection can be strengthened. Wouldn't that be nice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My brother and I grew up in the same house but it would appear that we had completely different experiences. He either literally does not remember what happened there or else he has blocked it. Of course, there is the possibility that I imagined everything. But I don't think so.
    His reaction when I talk about our childhood is unbelievably angry and he insists that these things never happened. It's not good. We are not good together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all remember things so differently. It sounds like your brother lives in denial as a way to protect himself from the awful truth.

      Delete
  8. Your last paragraph made me happy. I haven't seen nor heard from my brother for 30 years. I'm happy for you that you have reconnected.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sorry Sandra. I'm glad we've reconnected too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad you made that connection with your brother and I hope you get to have those conversations. As we get older we realize how essential our siblings are -- the only people who really understand our childhoods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Steve and I'm glad I let my wall down to allow some space for him.

      Delete
  11. All in our fifties and sixties, my siblings and I have never been close, nevermind said "I love you" to each other. Only in recent years have I been saying that to one brother who's seen hard times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My brother and I haven't been close since we were kids and I hope we have a chance to get to actually know each other.

      Delete
  12. Brothers are sometimes hard to connect with, or at least it seems that way. It sounds like you were able to do so. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I read this post and I found myself getting tears in my eyes. I am glad you reconnected with your brother. Life always surprises me too. Also, nothing gives me more pleasure than watching a dog run without a care in the world. It always makes me smile, despite the mud puddles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dogs love life and unless it's beaten out of them, they will enjoy their lives. I guess people aren't so different.

      Delete