Thursday, July 6, 2023


Nothing much going on around here.  I took myself to the Beaver Hills Biosphere the other day, by myself.  I had very few opportunities to take photos while on holidays and I thought the Biosphere would oblige, but it did not (it wasn't the ocean or the mountains).  There was a lot of dogbane in bloom though, which I always like.


I have stopped taking the pepcid, mostly, and tried using tums as much as possible but my reflux is getting worse.  I finally made an appointment with my new doctor but I dread whatever will happen.  All of the drugs used to reduce stomach acid have the same side effect of exacerbating depression.  Sigh.  I am such a picky eater but I will have to find a way to change my diet that will make things better because what I'm doing isn't working.

It is funny though isn't it?  How we keep doing the same things, expecting different results?  Just hoping things will change, but don't.  Real change requires effort and discomfort and conflict even, all things which I dislike and even fear (the conflict bit).  

The other day I parked in a handicapped spot, I was out with Katie and her wheelchair, a man parked beside me in the other handicapped spot, but he had no handicapped placard.  I thought about saying something to him but just walked away.  I'm tired of being the police of good behavior.  I bust my ass trying to be a good person and others barely lift a finger.  Last week, while I was away on holiday, two of my coworkers (both slackers with a long history of calling in sick without being sick) called in sick all week before the long weekend and left their coworkers short staffed.  I guess all that I can do is not be an asshole myself, which at times is difficult, I must say.

I guess I'm not alone:)


On the upside, our new dog Charlie is lovely and affectionate.  He also loves to run and runs like the wind.


Note, this is not his ball.


Off to walk the dogs.

12 comments:

  1. I hope your new doctor has a solution to your antacid pills/depression issue. You can't be the only person who has this medication conflict. Hopefully medical knowledge has a way to address the problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean about in considerate others. I find the best way to calm down is to just smile and wave... and maybe walk the dog too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that it is overall best to just smile and wave. The meme is perfect. Charlie looks like he is over-the-moon happy. Sure do hope you find some relief for the reflux.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you had a little while where "nothing much happened" for a change (nice feeling isn't it)!!!! And I feel you on not being the behaviour police. I don't generally do that anyway (because there's always someone else who will) and frankly I don't need the hassle. On another note, I don't know if you know Dr. Eric Berg on Youtube. The guy is wonderful and I'm pretty sure he has a video on EVERYTHING. I looked on acid reflux because my sister ended up having part of her oesophagus (sp?) removed because it was so severe, although hopefully you can get sorted easier than that! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you read about the H. Pylori Bacteria and its role in some reflux situations? My husband was treated for it once and his reflux went away. It's a real thing.
    What a happy doggy! I bet he is so thrilled to be part of your life.
    I fight with myself about being the asshole police sometimes. I save it for when someone is being ridiculously racist or something like that. Otherwise- I let it go. I'm not going to change anyone, I'm pretty sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's his ball now!

    I also have issues with reflux and it's a drag. I've been taking lansoprazole (Prevacid) and it works for me better than esomeprazole (Nexium) which gave me a headache. I can't remember if I've tried Pepcid or not.

    It's probably just as well you didn't question that guy over his lack of a placard. People are so insane these days you just don't know what kind of reaction you'll get.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry to read about the reflux issues. I suppose you have tried sleeping with your abdomen slightly raised. The thing that works for me is a German thing but available elsewhere called Luvos healing earth, it binds the acid. https://www.luvos.net/
    I usually try and stay away from giving medical opinions etc. so please forgive if I overstepped.

    Your new dog is a lovely one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm another reflux person. I got along for years on famotidine 40 mg twice a day, which is not a PPI. After a cancer bout I'm back on PPI. Probably eventually trying to work back to famotidine. I had no idea the PPI could promote depression, which has been a lifelong issue for me. Now I'll have to think about that!
    What I did want to say is that my favorite antacid is gaviscon regular. Tablets. You chew them and they foam up in your mouth and the foam makes a lovely coating on the sore esophagus. Oddly, the extra strength or the liquids don't work as well for me. I don't know if this is available in Canada or if it's the same - - I know some drugs are different. It does have aluminum and magnesium, but it might be worth a try for you If you can find it.
    You have so much on your plate and it all seems to be never ending. It's no wonder that it gets you down - - The wonder is that you've kept going and kept going so tenaciously.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What joy in Charlie's face! I used to think that those people would have to live with themselves, but now realize that they do not care--or find ways to justify their behavior. So, now I look at it that I have to live with myself and don't want to be that kind of person. Cold comfort at times. Hope you can get a handle on the reflux.

    ReplyDelete
  10. At one point in my life, I might have challenged the guy parking in the handicapped spot. However, too many people have guns in the US, so I just don't make eye contact with anybody. Sorry about the reflux, that has to be bad.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those first photos are gorgeous. I wish you could come visit me down here, and I'd take you to the glorious Pacific ocean. Sigh. As for "advocating," I'm just not into it anymore. Too exhausting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Asshats abound don't they? Thankfully I know a lot of good people too, so it balances out knowing so many Unlovely people are among us and seemingly on the News and in our Political System all the damned time.

    ReplyDelete