Wednesday, June 14, 2023


Bunchberry, or creeping dogwood.  Not a great picture, I took it on my phone which normally takes better photos, but I do love these flowers.

My husband just left, to drive out to Vancouver Island.  He was supposed to be leaving tomorrow but Highway 16 is closed east and west of Edson, which is the easiest way to drive to Vancouver, due to a wildfire that is threatening the town of Edson.  He's going to drive south and then west, through Calgary and take the Trans Canada highway which will be busy as hell.

There is also a wildfire on the Island which has closed part of Highway 4 and requires a four hour detour on logging roads which is not stressing us out at all (of course it is).  I have a very bad memory of driving on a logging road in the mountains twenty years ago which I white knuckled; I was the driver and it took an hour to drive a few kilometres.  Apparently the detour is not as bad, just a long time, no food, water, fuel or cell service. We'll need four days of beaches to recover from the drive.

I've been on the phone and emailing people in Ucluelet to find out if we can even make the trip.  The answer, yes we can.

We also had an offer on our condo that's been up for sale since March or April, I forget now, so they need all kinds of documents and things signed, right now, and we're leaving town.  

My father in law is doing poorly, my husband's uncle died, and that whole family remains dysfunctional (like most families).  My husband is upset and is battling another sinus infection and I'm just stressed.  

Things I'm Thankful For Today

-holidays

-humour

-my patient survived her code and is alive

-a good book came in the mail and I can't wait to read it

-cooler weather and rain

-Charlie is sweet as hell, is house trained and runs like the wind

-I finally feel competent filling in the paperwork (on the computer) for central line insertions

-Jack's bronchitis should be cleared up by now, he's been on antibiotics since we saw the doctor last       week

-I took the dogs to the off leash this morning

-I got everything packed, I hope


What are you thankful for today?



9 comments:

  1. Isn't that always the way? Everything happens at once!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lot of roadblocks (literal and figurative) that you're facing just to get some time out west. Sigh, sometimes I wonder why things can't be easier. Aren't we tempered enough by challenges? I like how you ended the post; I have many positives in my life like a loving family, a sweet little cat and a kind and thoughtful boyfriend. Lots of good books to read too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nightmare those wildfires are. Do you know how many of them are the result of arson? If so, what hell goes through someone's mind to do that. That's really good news about your patient though. I bet you're thrilled!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. About half of wildfires start because of lightening and half because of human stupidity (a tossed cigarette, a campfire not properly doused, etc), only five percent are arson.

      Delete
  4. Hopefully all will work out as you wish and need it to. Stay safe and let us know how you like the book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The preparation for vacations always makes me think that the whole thing just is not worth it. But generally, it is. Worth it. Mostly.
    Glad you got an offer on your condo. And very glad that Jack is feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a lot going on. We have been under air quality alert. Yesterday was really smoky. It's hazy today. Good Jack is better and that you can take your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read that book and enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, I'm reading backwards, so I know from your subsequent entries that you got there OK. Thank goodness! Now enjoy yourself!

    That book has been a favorite in our library. I haven't had a chance to read it yet!

    ReplyDelete