Friday, November 18, 2022


I've finished patching the quilt and I'm proud of how it turned out.  We're going to visit my father in law tomorrow and take all the stuff down to him for his room.  I also bought a bedside table and refinished it for him.

Before and after.








Jack is with his other grandma for three nights which gives us a break.  We're all on the same page with regards to Jack and Gracie and that helps.

I read this on a blog today and loved it so I'm sharing it here.

“The winter solstice time is no longer celebrated as it once was, with the understanding that this is a period of descent and rest, of going within our homes, within ourselves and taking in all that we have been through, all that has passed in this full year which is coming to a close… like nature and the animal kingdom around us, this time of hibernation is so necessary for our tired limbs, our burdened minds.

Our modern culture teaches avoidance at a max at this time; alcohol, lights, shopping, overworking, over spending, comfort food and consumerism.

…and yet the natural tug to go inwards as nearly all creatures are doing is strong and the weather so bitter that people are left feeling that winter is hard, because for those of us without burning fires and big festive families, it can be lonely and isolating. Whereas in actual fact winter is kind, she points us in her quiet soft way towards our inner self, towards this annual time of peace and reflection, embracing the darkness and forgiving, accepting and loving, embracing goodbye the past year.

Winter takes away the distractions, the buzz, and presents us with the perfect time to rest and withdraw into a womb like love, bringing fire & light to our hearth.

.. and then, just around the corner the new year will begin again, and like a seed planted deep in the earth, we will all rise with renewed energy once again to dance in the sunlight.”

–Brigit Anna McNeill



 

22 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing that quote about the winter solstice. Perhaps what I have been feeling is the pull toward doing exactly what it says, and the disconnect I am feeling is just my resistance to do the most naturally indicated thing. Thank you. I am glad you and Jack's other grandmother are on the same page right now. That must ease your heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I left a message on your blog, just to make sure you see it, I agree completely and that gives me some comfort.
      Last night I gave Lori a hug and told her I loved her. She's been through so much this past year.

      Delete
  2. I love that quote! We are trained to feel guilty about withdrawing and reflecting. Are we depressed? Shouldn't we be doing MORE? Love your quilt work and the refinishing of the table which is now fresh and bright.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a revelation to read it, perhaps this is just normal, something that humans have been doing forever.
      Thanks, I love the quilt and chalk paint makes old stuff look good. Perhaps I should try it on myself:)

      Delete
  3. The poem does give one (me) pause ... a quiet moment to contemplate each word's weight!
    Nicely done on both the quilt and the side table!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and I love that piece of writing. It feels like it makes it okay to slow down, to stop doing, to just be.

      Delete
  4. You did very good work on the quilt and the table. He will enjoy them. Winter is the time to be quiet in our lives, reflect, rejuvenate, restore ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and more importantly, thanks for sharing her writing.

      Delete
  5. Great job, both with the quilt and the little bedside table. Have you heard of Katherine May and her book and excellent podcast "Wintering"?
    https://katherine-may.co.uk/winteringsessions

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, Sabine, I just let a comment below and mentioned the book Wintering too. It makes you very reflective doesn't it!

      Delete
  6. I'll have to look her up. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The quilt and the table look fabulous. I am sure they will bring your father in law some comfort.
    I love the quote about the winter solstice. Unfortunately we are approaching our summer solstice so there is no excuse to turn inwards which I think is a natural thing as the year winds down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's comforting to hear it's a natural thing.

      Delete
  8. Thanks for sharing Ms McNeill's wise words. They largely co-incide with my own view of the winter solstice and the idea of renewal. I hope your father in law appreciates the quilt you have restored for him. Fifteen bucks was a real bargain price.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an excellent price and I couldn't resist it. It's also a fairly large quilt.

      Delete
  9. You've really done good works here for your father in law's room. That is a pretty quilt, it's cheerful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The patch looks amazing and the side table is very well done.

    I’m not much for going in but that’s because I’ve never really had a winter. I have it now and “in” is where I want to be. Brrrrrrrrrrr!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will appreciate "in" as the weather gets colder:)

      Delete
  11. Thank you so much for introducing me to that quote (I just looked her up). She's so right about winter too isn't she!!! I think that's why I enjoyed the book Wintering so much - it's along the same lines. We humans are animals and need to rest and rebuild just the same!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You've been busy and productive! Thanks for sharing that blog post. Spot on!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes- I love that quote about the winter solstice but how do we manage to do that? Ignoring the message that our culture pushes relentlessly on us is almost impossible. We must be merry! Whatever the hell that means.
    Good job on the side table AND the quilt.
    So glad to hear that Jack's other grandparents are on the same page as you in regard to Gracie.

    ReplyDelete