Thursday, February 22, 2018


Both photos were taken on Kitsilano beach in Vancouver last week.



I was reading through old posts this morning.  Two things struck me.  One is that I need to proof read better and two I am often depressed, or at least, often write about my depression.  I find writing very helpful when I am depressed.  When things are good I tend not to write about it because, well, things are good.

Last week I visited my daughter in Vancouver.  She graduated with her Bachelor of Business Degree.  I'm very proud of her.  She worked  the whole time she went to school and graduated with virtually no debt.  It took her six years to get her degree which included an internship in Zambia.  Africa was difficult for her.  It was a huge culture shock, she did without, she was harassed for being so pale skinned and ended up contracting malaria.  She also grew up a lot and realizes how entitled she was growing up.

We had a wonderful visit.  The first time in years and years that we had spent so much time together.  We talked and talked and talked.  One morning she asked me what I thought about god and we had an hour long conversation about everything.  No surprise, we're pretty much both on the same page.  We shopped, a lot.  She and her boyfriend are moving and needed furniture, they had lived in a furnished house.  We talked a little about her father and her brother.  We went to the gym and she designed a workout for my older, out of shape body.  She's also a personal trainer.

She's happy enough and she likes the person she has become which makes me happy.  I miss her but I am thankful she has built a life for herself that includes a good man, also a big guy, and a job she likes.

Last week while I was Vancouver I received a text message that my girlfriend with metastatic breast cancer had been admitted to the hospital and was given only days to live.  She defied the docs and was discharged home on the day they expected her to die.  She's at home quilting and going for short walks.  We're driving up to Jasper this weekend to visit her and I am so thankful I will get a chance to see her again.  She inspires me so much.  She doesn't suffer.  She lives her life.  Perhaps she can teach me how to do this.

The sun is shining today.  It's warming up.  I'm baking cookies and made a Shepard's pie to take to my girlfriend on the weekend. I feel good.  I am thankful.


No comments:

Post a Comment