Friday, February 20, 2015


I'm one of those people that displays every single thought and emotion on my face.  I don't know how not to do that.  I watch other people say one thing and do another.  I watch people backstab and lie.  I watch people get hurt or angry and yet nothing or very little shows on their faces.  Often I feel naked in the world. 

When I'm around intense people, I feel it.  I feel something inside of myself wind tighter.  When things are hectic at work I feel like a whirling dervish.  I become faster but also harder, more abrupt.  Niceties face away.  I can feel this in myself but don't know how to stop it.  Angry people scare me.  I can feel their anger reach through my skin, my body tenses and I get scared and then I get angry back.  Calm people soothe me.  The big guy is calm although sometimes I can feel a deep anger within him and it scares me.  My own anger scares me as well, afraid of what I might do.

Loud noises make me tense.  Too many people.  Too much to do.  Something winds tighter.  I forget that I can let go.  Walking is how I let it go.  Slowly the thing unwinds, loosens, relaxes.  My brain slows down.  It's strange that walking faster slows my brain but that is how is works.  Moving my body eases my brain. 

Strong emotions make me cry.  Sometimes I feel ashamed of crying.  I want to yell at people that I have no control over what comes out of my tear ducts.  Other people are uncomfortable with tears.  It's seen as a weakness or a defect. 

So am I an emotional wreck or an empath?

5 comments:

  1. I imagine you to be more of an empath than an emotional wreck, but I also don't think you have to pigeonhole yourself. I mean, I don't really know you other than on here and over at my blog, and I must say that you always, always have the rawest and most authentic voice -- one also filled with true empathy and an exquisite perception of what's behind the words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are just Highly Sensitive, dear one. And if the rest of the world were as sensitive as you and I the world would be a much nicer place.
    If you can get the book called The Highly Sensitive Person you will learn so much about yourself. When I did the self test I scored all but one in the affirmative.
    http://hsperson.com/test/highly-sensitive-test/

    I have probably told you about this before and it I have, sorry! I forget most things that I do and I worry constantly that I repeat myself.

    I have probably told you about this before and it I have, sorry! I forget most things that I do and I worry constantly that I repeat myself.

    hee hee

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew up believing that HAVING emotions meant I was an emotional wreck.

    I think it means you're human. Really. It's not a wreck to feel things deeply, and to be honest about them. I keep telling myself this every day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i like the comments already made and i agree with them. that you know what and how you feel is a burden, but i have that too and i wouldn't change it if i could. the part that may things hard(er) is judging and trying to evaluate what you feel. no need, unless doing so helps your own gentle path in the world….

    love
    kj

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's good to feel things deeply. I believe we're meant to. Of course, I cry at the drop of a hat.

    ReplyDelete