Wednesday, March 26, 2014


What I should be doing right now is studying but I'm not.  I'm reading blogs and cooking potstickers for a luncheon tomorrow.  One of my coworkers is retiring. 

It's been snowing here all day.  There was a promise of spring last week but that seems to have gone by the wayside.  Winter is back, hopefully not for long.

Miss Katie had three wisdom teeth out last Wednesday and we all survived.  She was pretty good considering her surgery was delayed by two hours.  When we arrived at the hospital she started screaming bloody murder when I put some EMLA cream on her hands so that the IV wouldn't hurt when it was started.  The screaming turned out to be a blessing because the nurses quickly moved us from a stretcher in the middle of the unit to a room with a door and Katie got a couple of Ativan in the bargain as well.  When her and I went downstairs to the OR she started flirting with the young, good looking dentist.  She got a hug from him and she had him blowing up gloves because she wanted a balloon. 

After she came back from the recovery room she vomited up some blood and this green thing.  I couldn't figure out what the green thing was so I put on a pair of gloves and dug around in the vomit (you can tell I'm a nurse and a mom).  I pulled the green thing out.  It was a sticker that you give kids as a bribe or reward.  I have no idea where it came from but it's not unusual.  Katie's caregiver found a tack up her nose a couple of weeks ago.  Where she got it, god only knows.  Once I found her teacher's keys inside the sock Katie was wearing.  Katie had ridden home on the bus with keys in her sock and her shoe on as well. 

I've been battling the menopause and the menopause has been kicking me in the ass.  I felt like I was in a fog, I had insomnia, which I've never really had, I was getting depressed, weepy, bitchy, not to mention the hot flashes from hell.  I felt like a train wreck.  Menopause is a natural thing, it's what happens to women.  But I couldn't do it.  I saw my doctor and got an estrogen patch and some progesterone pills.  The fog has lifted thank goodness but the hot flashes remain.  I'm okay with that.  The fog made me feel like I had Alzheimers.  I couldn't concentrate, kept forgetting everything, couldn't do simple tasks and work was becoming difficult. 

The potstickers are all finished, time to do a little studying. 

3 comments:

  1. Good for you for getting the patch and the progesterone. HRT made me a much easier person to deal with once menopause started. I've been on it for 14 years because I am so small boned. It will be a sad day when my GP retires and I can't get it anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad to hear that Katie had a dentist that is awesome. Having wisdom teeth out is full of anxiety for anyone so it is good when someone can make it a better experience.

    Good for you for getting HRT. I was wondering how you have been doing. Has it helped with the depression?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went through early menopause (as all the women in my family do) at age 46. I was miserable and had terrible hot flashes for nearly five years. I never went on drugs for it as they interfered with the other meds that I had to take. I would have done nearly anything to escape those days of sticking my head in the freezer or standing outside in blizzards with no coat on because I felt like I had a fever of 110! And good for Katie! I had two wisdom teeth out when I was in my thirties and I took to my bed for two days!

    ReplyDelete