Monday, September 14, 2026

 

I received a lovely bouquet of sunflowers from a friend on the weekend.  She rang the doorbell, left the flowers on the doorstep, and ran away.  I called out to her that she was a chicken and she happily clucked back.  She has no desire to get this bug.  Wise woman.

Husband and I are not exactly bouncing back from this flu.  I do feel better but still tired, full of snot, short of breath, and coughing lots.  Husband got it a couple of days after me so he's a couple of days behind me in feeling better.  He's sleeping lots between coughing and sneezing bouts.  Jack is back to school thankfully.  He missed his skills assessment for soccer on Saturday morning because he had a fever but there is another chance tonight, so we'll get him to that.

Right now I also have something called paronychia on my right hand, ring finger. It is surprisingly painful and the pain was definitely 10/10 when I bumped it yesterday.  I'm sure I've had them before and they do go away on their own.  Strangely enough, that finger has been damp a lot lately because my dishwashing gloves have a leak in that finger and I've been too cheap to replace the gloves.  The gloves have been replaced now and I'm soaking the finger in hot salt water.  The first night it appeared though it was so painful that I had a hard time sleeping and then my brain decided it might be necrotizing fasciitis, so that didn't help me fall asleep either. Turns out not necrotizing fasciitis, no sepsis, just a sore finger.  As my mum would say, "Fool 'em and live".    

As you can read, life here has been just wildly exciting.  We didn't have frost on the weekend but it's going down to 0C tonight so I'm glad I got my tomatoes and apples harvested.  I've made two batches of tomato sauce so far with many more to come.  I've run out of room to put all the green tomatoes so a big bag went down to the basement.  I still need to deal with the apples when I get a bit of energy.  

I saw a downy woodpecker at the bird feeder this morning, such tiny little birds.  When our fridge died I found a package of suet with nuts, seeds, and dead bugs in it at the bottom of the freezer.  I put it outside and there has been one magpie who visits us several times a day to partake.  It looks like the same bird every time so obviously he/she has not told their extended family about it.  Sometimes we don't always feel like sharing.  I'm that way with chocolate.





 

26 comments:

  1. I'd never heard of that condition and it looks awful from the photo in the article. You've certainly had a run of crappy illnesses! I hope you're getting them out of the way. Younger Daughter got a notice about hand, foot and mouth disease going around the daycare and said, "If the kids get this and have to stay home, I'm effed." Last year, her older boy was out for two weeks and it was brutal. I dread trying to manage that although of course I'll help as much as possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a small staph infection, it'll pass. I'm down to just coughing now and yesterday I ended up with a fair bit of exercise by accident and slept much better than I had in a week. That always helps too.
      I hope your grandsons don't end up with the hand, foot, and mouth disease. You'd think they could come up with a better name.

      Delete
  2. Living can be such a pain in the ass sometimes. May you soon be properly up on your feet and walking on your hands as usual, Madam Superwoman.
    I get behind on your updates because my Blogspot link-list isn't working anymore. What's going on there, I wonder, and will it ever be fixed?
    Here it's pouring rain this morning, delaying the harvest even more, and Fbo is on his way back from Calgary so my last few days of peace & toast and cottage cheese for lunch are ... no they're NOT over, ha ha! - Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been dry here but cold. Last night it got down to 3C so I still have some flowers hanging on. I hope it dries up soon for the harvest. I could never farm. I would be a mess mentally, depending on the weather for my living.

      Delete
  3. I love your mother's saying and plan to use it where possible! I am desparately aiming to stay well until - well, apart from forever, at least until the school holidays are done in early October (we aren't even at school holidays yet but its a goal)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently it's a Yiddish saying. Can't imagine where mum picked it up but I like it. Hopefully you stay well but you guys are almost done with winter, we're just starting.

      Delete
  4. I have never even heard of paronychia before. Oh no! That looks incredibly miserable.
    And so does your flu. Hell's bells, as my mother used to say occasionally. If it's not one thing, it's another, isn't it? Or both.
    Wish I could hug you. I would, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll live. I feel better today and slept well last night. Even my finger feels better. It always amazes me how miserable a sore finger can make a person feel.

      Delete
  5. I've never heard of your finger issue...sounds awful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not uncommon and it does usually resolve on it's own. It's a small staph infection probably because I'm run down and prediabetic and had a small hangnail that I didn't notice.

      Delete
  6. Hope you feel better soon! I bet the sunflowers helped.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, you sent me down a rabbit hole reading about paronychia and whitlows and felons, all of which I'd never heard of -- even though I spent a couple of years as a medical writer. Could it be a side effect of your flu, somehow? Or maybe being ill made you more susceptible? Seems so coincidental that you'd get both at once.

    It's not every day you get sunflowers delivered by a chicken!

    Zero degrees already...wow. That was fast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was so funny, clucking as she ran back to her car. She makes me laugh.

      Glad you got to know about paronychia, whitlows, and felons, although being an American I thought you would know a fair bit about felons:)

      Delete
  8. That's a gorgeous photo of the sunflowers! I hope you feel better soon, both from the flu and your painful finger. I'm home again now and back to daily blogging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm feeling much better today, thanks Debra. I look forward to your humour. You always cheer me up.

      Delete
  9. I have been MIA for a while and then there is the problem with blogger. I sorry to read you guys have the flu. It’s miserable. I have to say I do the the chocolate eater😉

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, you seem to be on a roll here, regarding illhealth watch out and take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm better now but it sucks being sick, or having a broken ankle. You got put on bed arrest, I probably would have lost my mind.

      Delete
  11. I'm glad you're doing a bit better. Don't get me started on whitlows, the misery of childhood!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea what whitlows were until I read the page. They sound so painful.

      Delete
  12. I am glad that you are slowly on the mend. That flu sounds just awful...and now your finger! I had never heard of that condition. Wow...I know we live on different parts of North America, but your climate sure is different than mine. This morning it was 57 degrees (14C) out when I got up, and that's the coldest it has been in a long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been lovely all day here, blue skies, gentle breezes and it got up to 20C which was nice. And I feel much better which helps.

      Delete
  13. I can't get over how much fruit and veg you've grown. When Jim and I went to Paris so that he could walk long distances and rehab his gait after rupturing his Achilles tendon, I got flu. It came on so fast, and I was so sick, and then it became pneumonia. Then I was really sick. Flu is not to be trifled with and I am very happy to hear that you're both getting better. The finger malady also sounds awful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be making a lot of tomato sauce, enough to last the winter which is nice. And the apples, not sure what I'll do with all of them. Some will be given away but I don't like apple pie or apple sauce, so I'm trying to think of other ways to use them.
      Being sick when you're not home is the worst, and pneumonia is the worst of all. Did you end up in hospital?
      I can't leave comments on your last post for some reason. Bloody blogger:)

      Delete