Monday, August 31, 2026


Jack was so excited to go back to school this morning.  He kept asking me what time it was and when the bus was coming.  He was pumped and he got on the bus with the two kids from across the street. 







The young woman across the street is a lovely young woman who has been struggling with some neurological problems for months now, numbness in her arm, hypersensitivity, double vision, migraines, gait problems, to name a few.  Sometimes she can't drive, so the kids are taking the bus now.  She and I chatted for probably half an hour and then I made her go inside as her teeth were chattering.  There was a cold wind this morning.

I also talked to the neighbors next door to us as well.  Their son is starting high school today and he had such a huge smile on his face.  Both of their children are good kids, they've done a good job, and been lucky.

I came inside and sat down at the computer, an entire day to myself for the first time in two weeks.  There are lots of things that need doing and nothing I feel like doing.  I have vacuumed though, the dog hair piles up so quickly in the hallway that I can't stand looking at it.  The dogs need their walks, I have errands to run, and painting to be done but I feel like doing nothing.  The horror! I stole that from Urspo.

I took the dogs for a walk.  While I was out with Charlie, an old couple with a large brown lab walked past me.  I've seen that dog charge people, even while on leash, and the man has very little control over it.  On the second encounter with them, we were both walking in circles apparently, I gave the dog a wide berth which brought me close to a fence line.  Charlie and the dog on the other side of the fence starting arguing and I tried to pull Charlie away from the fence when the other dog pushed a loose piece of the fence out of the way and attacked Charlie.  I got Charlie away but he had a gash on his nose which was bleeding a fair bit.  I yelled to tell the lady that she had a loose board on her fence and that her dog attacked my dog.  She said, your dog fault.  I took a photo of the house and will either talk to her or call bylaw enforcement.  My dogs have been attacked three times while they've been on leash in the neighbourhood.

And then I cried a little.  I think my biggest problem throughout my life has been my inability to regulate my emotions.  Yay, a new hobby.  How to learn emotional regulation as an adult.




20 comments:

  1. What a beautiful close-up!
    The time when children are at school goes by so quickly. Sweep a room, do a load of laundry, walk the dog- time for them to come home. I swear.
    Good luck with the emotional regulation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking back at my life I can see how much my emotional dysregulation has impacted my life on a daily basis. I'm willing to try things to improve my life and maybe even show Jack that there are things we can do to make life betterr.

      Delete
  2. I;m so sorry you can't even walk your dog in peace!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. He's much better this morning but he was very subdued all day yesterday.

      Delete
  3. Bad dog behaviour is a fact of life, but it shouldn't be. It all lies with the owners.
    I like that Jack was really looking forward to school.
    Everything you didn't get done will still be there tomorrow...and the next day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlie is awful with fences too, it's called fence aggression but the fence was broken so it was dog on dog aggression.
      I gave up on my to do list after Charlie got bitten:)

      Delete
  4. I finally came to terms with not getting a dog a few years ago because my dog getting attacked by another dog would do my head in, especially when its owners lie about whose dog was at fault!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think both dogs were at fault, but even more at fault were the owners who didn't fix the hole in the fence.

      Delete
  5. It’s wonderful Jack is full of happy anticipation for going to school. I’m in the same funk as far as having no desire to do anything. It’s difficult to break out of. I’m sorry the dog owner was so snappy. She should have said she was sorry and would get the fence fixed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I checked the fence this morning and it's been fixed so I'm willing to let sleeping dogs lie (see what I did there?). I'm a comedian or at least I crack myself up.

      Delete
  6. It's great to hear Jack was eager to get back to school. Not so good about the neighbors and their dog. Can they be made to fix the fence because of a dangerous dog?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fence has been fixed thankfully, or I repaired or I would have reported them to bylaw enforcement. Charlie is still subdued today but his nose looks better today.

      Delete
  7. That close up is brilliant. And Jack is on his way, so good to see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's so tired this week. Mornings are good and by the time supper rolls around he's exhausted and miserable poor guy. It's an adjustment.

      Delete
  8. That backpack is bigger than him, ha. Yes to some down time to process life's challenges (you've surely had more than your fair share, sigh).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've started using your recipe for the oatcakes. OMG they're good. I tried adding some coconut to the recipe, also very good. Thank you!

      Delete
  9. Poor Jack! Why didn't you provide him with a bigger backpack? As for the lady with the broken fence, how on earth could she claim it was Charlie's fault? I thought that Canadians were meant to be fair-minded and well-mannered!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an old hiking backpack of mine that I found and thought he could use it. I've tightened up the straps and it fits him better now.
      The fence has been fixed. I checked it yesterday morning. Not all Canadians are fair-minded or well-mannered, especially in Alberta.

      Delete
  10. I'm glad Jack is excited about school. That woman does need to control her dog. I wouldn't hesitate to report her if she refuses to fix the fence. How could it be Charlie's fault when her dog was OUTSIDE its fence?!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an adorable photo of Jack! I hope he continues to enjoy school. That was a terrifying experience with the dog attack. I hope you can get some resolution from it.

    ReplyDelete