A private off leash dog park that Charlie could run in, without me having to worry about other dogs. Unfortunately it also had a small slough which meant Charlie was covered in mud and smelly water, but he loved it.
Proof of a wet summer.
I took a break from social media for a bit. It was getting me down and raising my blood pressure, literally. My blood pressure is now under control and well managed. I'm staying off instagram because my algorithm brings me all kinds of crap about the provincial government which leaves me feeling outraged. I'm tired of feeling outraged. It's not a good feeling.
We finally seem to have the right medication combination for Jack. He's eating better and is able to stay focused when he needs to be. He doesn't have any camps this week or next week, it's just the two of us and so far it's going well. I have also been making hard boiled egg chocolate pudding for him which he loves and his weight is going up now.
The basement is almost finished which is nice. The final two windows from our May new window installation have finally been installed in the basement, windows which would probably have prevented the flooding that we had. Sigh. The utility room is tidy and organized, and the bedroom has new flooring which looks very nice. I only have some more painting to do in the bedroom and then it's finished.
I took a break from Katie this past weekend. Jack went to the lake with his grandma and mother for one night, so I also took a break from Katie on the Sunday. She's hard work that girl and I think I need to step back more, for her sake and mine. When I die it's her caregivers who will be doing all of the stuff I do now. I'm aging and finding it harder to deal with her mentally and physically, so stepping back, ever so slowly makes sense.
I'm finally feeling less overwhelmed now that the basement has been renovated. I don't think I realized how much mental energy it took for me to deal with it. Katie's ovarian cyst is shrinking and bothering her less and less it seems. My son is doing well. He just started a new job yesterday and in October he's going back to school to become a carpenter. He seems happier and more settled, but even more importantly he's staying sober. I'm thankful.
Me driving home with the new flooring from Home Depot:)



I don't blame you for taking a break from everything for a while. I need to stay away from social media more too because of the "outrage" part. I mean, it obviously depends where you get your information from anyway and AI doesn't make anything better (in my opinion). I'm so glad Jack is doing better and hopefully Katie too. More importantly you sound better - you obviously needed that break!
ReplyDeleteAI sucks in my opinion and makes me question everything.
DeleteI did need a break:)
Glad to hear that your media break did you good! I agree, the less stress, the better.
ReplyDeleteLess stress is good. Now how do we get rid of Danielle?
DeleteFinally things are going better for you; I'm glad to be reading this. I agree that reducing your time with Katie is wise right now. You need to conserve your own energy. I'm so happy that Jack is doing better. You're I doing wonders in his life.
ReplyDeleteThey're both doing well but I see the toll they're both taking on my life as well and making adjustments, no longer just trying to keep my head above the water.
DeleteI had never heard of hardboiled egg pudding. Amazing! I'm so glad that Jack's medications seem to be better balanced. Also happy to hear about your son's sobriety. That, too, is amazing.
ReplyDeleteI think you're doing the right thing, stepping back with Katie's care a little.
The pudding is shockingly good and easy to make. We're going through a lot of eggs now.
DeleteIt's always so nice to hear blogmates are in a happier space. It is wise to pull back if you feel overwhelmed by life. You are no good to anyone if you aren't feeling good. The meme is funny. We've all overestimated about what will fit in our cars.
ReplyDeleteI have a SUV, but it's a small SUV, and it's much shorter than I think, even to get Katie's wheelchair in the back.
DeleteSix hard boiled eggs should do the job! It's good to read all your positive news and long may it last.
ReplyDeleteI've left all the zuck/Meta stuff behind me a couple of years ago. I don't miss any of it at all. Well done, it's not what the internet was intended for by the pioneers.
He's eating a lot of eggs now, and I make it with some whipping cream to add calories. He loves it and I don't feel bad feeding it to him.
DeleteThe internet seems designed only to make people feel outraged a lot of the time.
Those photos are a beautiful accompaniment to all you have expressed so well in this post about the positive changes in your life and the lives of those you love.
ReplyDeleteThanks Amanda.
DeleteI'm glad you took a break! We can't be there for others, even on a less frequent basis, when we're not there for ourselves. You are rearing a child! That itself is a huge feat. I'm delighted that Jack is on effective medication and that the basement is coming along. Just because we appear to handle chaos and issues well doesn't mean that they have no effect on our physical and mental health. I think I'm often unaware of just how much stress I'm under over various *things.*
ReplyDeleteI don't think I appear to handle stress well at all:) Usually people can tell when I'm feeling overwhelmed. Today our fridge quit and that threw me for a loop.
DeleteYou do a lot for your daughters and grandsons and there is stress there.
Sometimes a break is pure medicine. Good news.
ReplyDeleteThanks:)
DeleteAnd here I've felt guilty for not stopping in to see Emil every time I'm in town, when really I've just been taking care of my own needs when he absolutely does not need me to visit whenever I go to town and am ready to come home after running my errands. Thank you! -Kate (ps you've been missed, missy)
ReplyDeleteThanks Kate. My Katie hates change and every Sunday I take her out, plus I take her to all of her doctor and lab appointments, and emergency visits. It's been a lot this year with her medical problems. I'll have to something out that gives me more balance because I'm finding it overwhelming.
DeleteFirst..great news regarding your son. Good news all around. It is wise to back off some with Katie, especially considering it is better for you both. It's really good to read your world is well.
ReplyDeleteThanks Sandra. Now I'm off to read your blog posts:)
DeleteI'm glad you are gradually backing off a bit -- you can't do anyone any good if you get too depleted. That's good news about your son, and also Jack. ❤️
ReplyDeleteI'm happy for my son and he's quite excited about going back to school and getting his life back.
DeleteI liked reading about your social media fast. I had wondered what was going on. I really need to do the same but it seems unthinkable. Your doing it makes a little more thinkable!
ReplyDeleteI'm still staying off of Instagram, too much political stuff that I have no control over:)
DeleteI am with you on stepping back from social media. So much of it is plain noise no substance.
ReplyDeleteI'm a fan of dog and cat videos, after that it just causes me stress.
Deletehow about a salubrious break on a regularly scheduled basis?
ReplyDelete