Tuesday, July 28, 2026


The walk home the other night.

It's been kind of an awful summer so far.  We had a huge dump of rain yesterday at lunch and the window well filled up again but I was home and I bailed it out.  It's just the volume of rain.  Streets are flooding, sink holes are appearing, and underpasses are impassable.  The waters recede and then it happens again.

I went online to figure out what to do about the window well and about flooding.  I found out that it's not an unusual problem, which is good to know, and it can be fixed, also good to know.  I was worried it would be something that would require tens of thousands of dollars to fix and my neck and back muscles tightened up.  I also learned about the purpose of window wells, how they're designed, and how they drain.  All good information that I managed to make it this far without knowing.

The damaged part of the basement has been cleaned out and I let the contractor know that he can come at anytime to do the repairs.  He told me after the long weekend.  Yesterday I bought the flooring and I've decided not to replace the nasty old utility sink in the basement, I just removed it.  I don't need it and it leaves more room in the furnace room.

I'll order a bin and I'll get rid of all the garbage that is now sitting in the garage and after the drywall is up, I can install shelving and organize the utility room so that we can find stuff, instead of buying another__________ (fill in the blank with any tool imaginable).

Jack has only a morning camp this week so I think I'm bummed out about that too.  I like it when I have the whole day to myself.  I think I'll make him go dog walking with me this afternoon and I'll keep the morning for myself.  I'll also be happier when my house is put back together.  

Europe is on fire, we're drowning, the US government has lost their collective mind, and the children of the world continue to die or be traumatized because old men who are afraid to die fight wars that nobody needed and nobody wanted (I suppose the argument could be made that war is never needed or wanted).  Climate change is real, it's not new but it has been sped up exponentially and the poorest among us will be the ones to suffer the most, as usual.  We're supposed to do better when we learn and yet it appears that human beings have learned nothing.  It breaks my heart.





24 comments:

  1. We've learned nothing or the powers-that-be have learned to ignore, and exploit; they care nothing about anyone except themselves and more money. Have they never heard the saying "you can't take it with you?" No matter their money, they can't cheat death. The weather has been crazy. Ours has been dry but fairly normal--high 70s and low 80s. Glad you're figuring out the repairs and fixes for your basement. Decisions can be tough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to make very quick decisions and I do regret them at times, but not often. I'll just be glad when it's done. Right now Jack and I are sleeping on a mattress on the floor in the basement. On the upside I am getting some good leg exercise getting up off the bed:)

      Delete
  2. It does indeed sometimes seem the world is circling the drain. Meanwhile, I hope the rain lightens up (send some to us!) and your basement repairs go well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can have our rain. If only it were so easy. I suppose it's always felt like the world is circling the drain but I've never experienced this feeling in my lifetime and now it's almost constant.

      Delete
  3. Sometimes, especially in the middle of the night when I awaken, my head swirls with all of the stuff that is haywire in the world. I don't even recognize my own country anymore and it makes me very sad at times. I hope your rain lets up, that's got to be frustrating after a cold winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weird weather is all part of what's going on in the world, just one more thing. It is sunny now though.

      Delete
  4. I didn't have a clue about window wells, but I now know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew nothing about window wells but I feel much better having learned about them.

      Delete
  5. I hope things get better for you soon. It's no wonder you feel overwhelmed. As you say, it would be easier if you had the whole day to yourself. Please take care of yourself as best you can. (I'm not denying all the horrible things going on, just that you have so many other things piled on top of you.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to do less in the day and that does help. And thank you:)

      Delete
  6. I used to have window wells and had no idea what they were about. I worried when rain built up in them. This is really a rugged summer season everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Monday's midday downpour was crazy, man, CRAZY! I was just coming off the High Level Bridge on my way to my dental appointment when the heavens opened. The rain was so intense and heavy, I had to pull over, park and wait for it to ease up, because it was dangerous to drive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was sitting in a Subway shop having lunch with my brother, we decided to stay longer. Those were huge rain drops!

      Delete
  8. Here in North Florida the main change this summer has been a good one which is - not hurricanes. This is because of weather changes which have affected other parts of the world negatively. I almost feel guilty but it is so nice not to have a new hurricane forming in the Atlantic and headed our way every week. Otherwise it's been the regular hot with some nice afternoon showers.
    I know how lucky we are right now as the rest of the world burns or roasts or floods.
    I think you're exhausted from it all. Who wouldn't be?
    Hold on. School will start soon. Hopefully that will give you a little time back.
    As for the constant anxiety and fear- yeah. That is not going to go away any time soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that you're not having hurricanes but all hell seems to be breaking loose most places, or at least the places on the news.
      Next week Jack has full day camp so that will be easier and I'm trying to fit less into the day.

      Delete
  9. Do you have a link about how to fix a leaking window well? We have water that's seeping in that's making the wood window frames swell. We're at a loss as to how does the water get in? It will be good when school starts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I left some links on your last blog post. Hope they help.

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much. They have convinced me that if our fix did not work, I'm paying someone next time.

      Delete
  10. But also—fantastic photo!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the sky picture. Above us an art gallery sometimes looks down but many fail to really notice it. As for a window "well", I had no idea what this meant so I had to look it up. Now I realise that they are nearly always connected with basement windows...Is that right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you're right. Window wells are for basement windows. They allow in light to the basement and are a means of emergency exit from the basement should a fire occur.
      The skies in Alberta seldom disappoint:)

      Delete
  12. let us hope for a better fall.

    ReplyDelete