Port Renfrew.
I'm feeling overwhelmed and I don't know why. The basement will need some work and it smells funny down there. There is a dehumidifier going now to pull the moisture out but everything needs to be moved out of that utility room, the drywall needs to be removed, and then new drywall put up. It feels like a lot right now but I don't know why. I've dealt with floods before. It's not that big of a deal, but it feels like it. Why?
I wrote that last bit last night when I couldn't sleep. Something smelt funny in the basement bedroom as well, which is where Jack and I sleep when it's too hot. This morning I pulled everything out of the closet and found out where the funny smell was coming from. Water had seeped through from the utility room on the other side of the closet and stuff was growing on the carpet. I moved the dehumidifier and the fan from the utility room into the bedroom and pulled up some of the carpet.
The flooding isn't terrible and it's confined to a relatively small space in the basement. It's certainly much less than a lot of people in Sherwood Park are dealing with, but this is my basement and what I have to deal with
I moved what I could on my own but there is much more work to be done. I did contact our contractor and he's going to come and give us a quote for repairs. Our insurance does not cover overland flooding, so we're on our own.
I lay in bed last night, trying to decide where I wanted to put my energy over the summer, Jack, garden, pottery, house, etc. This morning I got my answer, house first, but I am going to try to spend time doing each of the things that I enjoy. Usually I hyperfocus on just one thing because that's how my brain works, but it doesn't make me happy in the long run. So I'll try to spread out my focus.
There is a new name for ADHD making it's way around the internet, DAVE. The video explains it very well and it's short, 22 seconds. It certainly explains how I feel ALL THE TIME. My brain is the worst at night, going over my day, trying to decide what I want to do tomorrow. Retirement opened up so much room in my life (in theory), that I sometimes feel like I have too many options. I know, a terrible problem to have:)
So I'm going to have a little cry, I'm going to do a little pottery and walk the dogs, and then I'll tackle the wet shit in the basement.

.jpg)
I'm very sorry for the overwhelming issue of the flooding. I've had pipes break, also a nightmare of tearing up, drying and repair. I remember a long time ago, one daughter asked me, "Why are mushrooms growing in the carpet?" I didn't go into the den much and on the other side of that wall is the hot water heater. Ughhhh! I'm glad you're fitting in activities you enjoy also. Retirement can be so open that we end up spinning our wheels and going nowhere. I still have days like that and I'm not proud of them.
ReplyDeleteThe flooding really isn't bad compared to what some people have to deal with, just more work. It's the smell I can't stand.
DeleteI made one mug today and walked the dogs, visited with a friend, and worked on the basement. It was a good day overall:)
I remember a book I read calling it I've Got All Day Disease when she quit work to stay home. How to focus when you no longer have a schedule. And she didn't have ADHD.
ReplyDeleteMy sympathy on your water problem. It's a mess and mold is treacherous.
The smell in the basement is horrible but should improve with the carpeting getting removed.
DeleteIt's hard living without a schedule. My son said the same thing when he had two weeks off last Christmas.
Good grief! I am so sorry about the flooding. Even though, as you said, it is not that much, it is your house and it messes things up. I would feel overwhelmed myself!
ReplyDeleteAt least it's confined to the basement and I called our contractor and he's going to come out and take a look at what needs to be done. Fortunately I'm usually pretty good at demolition:)
DeleteI'm so sorry about the flooding and the repairs, it's triggering. Yes, it does feel overwhelming even when you've been there before. And you'll get through this as you have before. I tell myself this in stressful times and I don't believe myself, but I believe other people saying it. So here's me saying it!
ReplyDeleteIt will be ok. It's not ok today, but it will be:)
DeleteAnd thank you for saying it.
I’m glad you are taking time for things that feed your spirit. We need that as much as nutritious food and sleep.
ReplyDeleteI made a mug today which made me happy.
DeleteYou're feeling overwhelmed because things are overwhelming at the moment. Just because you've seen worse flooding or someone else is dealing with something perhaps more serious, it doesn't help at all that you're having to take care of all of this.
ReplyDeleteI had a good day actually, which was weird. I decided to stop putting things aside for later, and just deal with them right now. Got a lot done in the process. I even got the laundry put away which I had doing.
DeleteThe basement will take time and I'm going to work on my pottery at home. I took my time this morning, a lot of time, and I'm hopeful this mug will be good. I have a terrible time with handles but I slowed down and that helped.
You may need a larger dehumidifier and at least one large fan. If you are sure the plaster board is ruined, so be it, but mine did dry out with industrial sized fans and dehumidifiers. I am sure you could have done without that.
ReplyDeleteI could have done without but life happens. It is slowly drying out and there hasn't been any more flooding thank goodness.
DeleteThis is certainly something you did not need. It sounds doable but that doesn't matter when it smells! I understand the feeling of having time yet things don't get done. Like you, I had a busy, organized life. Now I seem to have neither. Do your pottery, walk the dogs, talk to friends. The other will get done.
ReplyDeleteThe smell is going away thank goodness and it's slowly drying out. I am amazed at the amount of water that a dehumidifier can pull out of the air. I have no experience with them as Alberta is usually so dry. Right now the humidity is 98% outside and 60% inside:)
DeleteI'm meeting up with friends at the pottery studio this afternoon. Yay:)
I've been offline for over a week {computer problems} and am just now reading about your flooding. I'm so sorry you're going through this. It's just one bloody thing after another isn't it!
ReplyDeleteI'll live:) We are fortunate that it's only a small part of the basement and that we don't use the basement that much. The utility room will get a make over and so much needed organization when this is all done.
DeleteI was sad to read you are feeling this way. I was glad to see the support in the comments. I hope by now things aren't so bad.
ReplyDeleteI'm ok. I'm easily overwhelmed and I cry a lot, but I'm learning to accept that about myself. I'm not broken, it's just how I am:)
Delete