Thursday, January 22, 2026


Edmonton river valley looking south.  It's cold today, really cold, and I'm grumpy.  I've always thought that January is far too long and dark.  I imagine that people have felt the same way about winter for thousands and thousands of years.  Nothing new here.  I have it pretty easy compared to the people that lived in Alberta 11,000 years ago, even 100 years ago.  I have central heating, groceries, running hot and cold water, vaccines to prevent diseases, medications, and a vehicle with heated seats, but I still hate the cold and feel stuck.  I always feel stuck in January.  

This is my back yard and the poor sun trying to drag it's ass over the horizon, half an hour after I put Jack on the bus.  Heidi is a hardy soul and can stand the cold much better than Charlie.


I'll live.  Or as mum used to always say, "Fool 'em and live."  I have no idea where she first heard that.

So today will be working on the quilt.  I'm almost done the top cover for it, then I'll choose a backing fabric for it and send it off to the quilters.  I would like to give it to my other grandson, as Jack's doesn't seem interested in it and I've not made anything for my other grandson, ever.  He'll be five this summer, Jack will be seven in April.  The interesting thing about getting older is that you can look back over such a long period of time.  You can see patterns that have formed, and you know that things always change.  Nothing is forever.

I had another x-ray done on the lump on my clavicle and it's nothing, so I'm glad about that.  I think that's been bothering me.  I worry about dying before Jack has finished growing up.  My blood pressure is up, mum had hypertension and I have it too.  The doctor sent me home with instructions to measure my blood pressure four times a day to see if it's time to put me on anti-hypertensives.  All of the anti-hypertensives have side effects which I would prefer to avoid, but a rock and a hard place.

I went to pottery yesterday and enjoyed myself as always.  I worked on a casserole dish but I'm not satisfied with it and may make another one.  I'll decide next week.  I also made a delicate little vase.  I'm not sure it'll hold up to firing and glazing.  Practice.  Practice failing.  

Jack wants to know why he has to read everyday after school and I told him because we all need to practice things if we want to get better at them.  His reading is amazing compared to where he was in September but he is still learning.  He's doing very well in math and he gets lots of opportunities to practice dealing with his anger on the bus and the on the playground.  He gives me lots of opportunities to practice with my own anger as well.  

I think I've known I have ADHD since my son was diagnosed more than thirty years ago, but I didn't realize how much ADHD had affected my own life.  I didn't understand how distracted and distractable I was, or how easily I became overwhelmed and angry, or why I couldn't stick to anything.  I felt a lot of shame.  I thought if I could just figure something out, then I would be fine.  I read a lot of self help books looking for answers, a lot.  I went to counsellors and even tried hypnosis. Nothing helped.  Medication might have helped but it was never offered and I didn't understand why it would have helped.  I wanted so badly to be a good person, a calm person, a better person.  I was ashamed of how easily I became overwhelmed and didn't even understand that I was overwhelmed.  I thought I was deficient because I couldn't do what others seemed to be able to do so easily and so much better.  I didn't understand why I was so contrary and I hated being that way, even as I continued to be like that.

There is a lot of self hate and shame that goes along with ADHD and I don't want Jack to feel like that for the rest of his life.  And even as I write this, I know how many times a day I tell him to slow down, to focus, to stop being who he is because he is so exhausting to me and once again I feel shame and a sense of failure.  Having ADHD and parenting someone with ADHD is an endless circle of anger, regret, and shame.  

The course we took in the fall helped with those feelings.  It was good to hear from other parents who felt the same way and I think I might reach out to a couple of those moms.  We all need support.



It's done!


Update.  For some reason blogger won't let me reply to comments.  Bah!


26 comments:

  1. Now that's one award Trump truly DOES deserve, lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The reply button is working again! trump is a child. Why anyone trusts him with anything more than crayons is beyond me.

      Delete
  2. Wow, the quilt! No self doubt there, it's lovely. I'm glad you've become so engrossed in pottery, because you've got talent there, too. How thoughtfully you're raising Jack. When he grows up he'll remember some things you said that helped him. Kids do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jack has started taking pottery too and is enjoying it.

      Delete
  3. That's a beautiful quilt! You're absolutely right about January. It's a long, dark month but February is right around the corner, and that's when I really notice things brightening up. So I'm keeping that foremost in my thoughts!

    I don't know what to say about the ADHD, except that there's no more reason to feel shame about it than about having the flu or cerebral palsy or any other medical condition. It is what it is. I'm not saying anything you don't already know, but knowing it and feeling it are two different things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get angry easily and I've always wanted to be the kind of person who is calm and slow to anger, but that doesn't work. I continue to try and fail, and then try again.

      Delete
  4. I love that quilt but how did your other grandson get so old? I thought he was still about two. And I'm still in my 50s, haha! I try to treat myself to a special coffee in the evening or something else I like during these dark January days. It sounds like pottery is a highlight for you. I feel guilty for complaining but I'm waiting until it gets above 40 to go on a walk. I just don't have the gear although I do have a lot of jackets. It's hard to know what is personality and what is something else, like ADHD. Before we knew much about various things like that or ASD, we just thought that some people were quirky, very active, obsessive, etc. I like that we are now aware of how these conditions affect us and our relationships.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny how people stay the age you last remember them at. I do that too.
      I'm glad there is so much more information and knowledge about neurodivergence but it would be even nicer to not have it.

      Delete
  5. The quilt is stunning & whoever receives it will certainly appreciate it. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not a great fan of quilts but I think yours looks very nice.
    I'm sure at times Jack really benefits from your self awareness and empathy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrew. I hope Jack gets some benefits. I guess time will tell.

      Delete
  7. I came back to see your awesome quilt! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope the days start getting brighter next month. I have more trouble with summer than winter, but our winters aren't that dark. Stay safe and warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One more month will make all the difference.

      Delete
  9. That quilt is beautiful! And thank you so much for the Harry Potter and DJT photo. It put a much needed smile on my face this morning. Jack is lucky to have you in his life as you understand what it is like to have ADHD. As I've told you, my oldest son has it, and I have taught many students with it as well. Of my two dogs, Shirley would stay out in the cold all day, whereas Murray likes to be warm. Of course, "cold" is a relative thing when I am in Virginia and you are in Alberta!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think trump ever got the love and attention he so obviously craves from his own family when he was growing up. It's sad that his crappy parents have affected the world so much.

      Delete
  10. I am wondering if ADHD doesn't help you be such a gifted quilter? I could not possibly manage that level of preciseness. It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ADHD definitely makes quilting harder because I lose interest partway through and then it sits on my table for months, or a year. You figure out very quickly that if the seams or cutting is off, everything is off.

      Delete
  11. That is a quilt I really do like! I am one of the few who likes winter. It gives me a reason to stay inside, some days not getting out of pjs. Yes, finally an award he deserves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like being outside though and winter makes that hard for me. I'm not a hardy soul and prefer temps around 0C. I definitely live in the wrong part of the country:)

      Delete
  12. Well, that truly is an excellent and appropriate award for the orange cheeto. I'm sure he will enjoy it. It's interesting to me in the US to see how much coverage and admiration of Prime Minister Carney. I am certain it's making the cheeto very angry. It's going to be "cold" and wet for two days in Tucson. That is a lovely quilt, the corners on the squares are perfection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor donald, he is a hungry soul who will never be satisfied. It's pitiful really.

      Delete
  13. "Fool them and live." Yikes, it's very Stephen King and as a horror-fan, I fully endorse. this.
    P.S. Oh that quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder where mum got that phrase:) And thanks.

      Delete