Tuesday, October 7, 2025

We're back from our quick trip and we had a wonderful time.  We saw sockeye and coho salmon swimming upstream.  Jack was worried he would see the fish having sex, and we explained how fish mate.  When we stopped at Little Fort rest stop I remembered the creek there.  Jack and I climbed the hill and I thought, what is that smell?  There were a lot of dead fish who already spawned and died, so we got to talk about that too.  Tsutswecw Provincial Park was beautiful, in spite of the fire damage from the fire two years ago.  I want to go back next year, a bit later in October.  

The teachers in Alberta have gone on strike and our premier Danielle Smith (I spit on the ground), has of course blamed it all on the teachers.  The UCP is deliberately underfunding both public education and public health, trying to privatize as much as possible, except that's not what Albertans want.  The UCP doesn't care and they continue on with their own agenda.

So Jack is home with me full time for now, until the strike is resolved.  Yesterday I took him to pottery class with me and he was good as gold.  He spent about an hour on his tablet playing games and then when that got boring, the teacher had set out building blocks and he spent an hour building things.  

Today we're taking Auntie Katie to see the doctor because she needs a sixteen page form filled out to satisfy the provincial government, and prove that she is in fact, still disabled; then there are more hoops to jump through for the federal government regarding guardianship.  Oh joy.  Have I mentioned how much I dislike forms?

Yesterday I took Jack to the skateboard park in Edmonton and there was a drunk woman lying on the ground, in the middle of the park; she had been there for two days the kids said.  I tried talking to her, to see if she needed help, got her water to drink which she dumped on the ground because she was an angel and could only drink covered water.  I finally phoned the police and the woman smashed her vodka bottle, got up and wandered away.  I ended up picking up a million pieces of broken glass.  One of the kids, maybe 11 years old, helped me pick up glass and told me that there are often drunks or drug users in the park.  He knew about fentanyl and oxi.  It broke my heart.  

The kids, ranging from 6-16 were all so polite and thanked me for getting rid of the drunk woman and cleaning up the glass.  I know it's reality but still WTF.  The worst was Jack.  He was so upset by the drunk woman and had a lot of questions about alcohol, it's effects, and drunks (as he calls them).  He wanted to know why people drink so much.  While we were away on holiday, eating in restaurants, he noticed people drinking and was worried they would get drunk and become violent.  We told him that doesn't happen in restuarants and that if it did, we would protect him.  Thanks Gracie.


Mount Robson hiding in the clouds.












 

22 comments:

  1. What a wonderful light you are in that boy's life, explaining and protecting. With you is exactly where he needs to be. I'm glad you got to your pottery class, too, with his cooperation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right now he's mad as hell at me because he wants a break! He's had his break and sounds calmer now. He's probably hungry.

      Delete
  2. What an excellent trip! Rotting fish is definitely a funky smell. That's wonderful that you tried to help the drunk woman and then cleaned up the glass. I'm sad that kids know so much these days and have been exposed to harsh realities. I'm hoping that it makes them safer and more aware even though it feels like it takes away the childhood innocence that they deserve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never seen so many dead fish, but it's how it goes. It was so cool seeing the salmon swim upstream to the very place they hatched.
      I don't know if I believe in childhood innocence anymore, but it did break my heart that the kid knew so much.

      Delete
  3. Twice in the past year I have received in the mail pain-in-the-ass forms that I was instructed to fill out and quickly return on Emil's behalf "or else" and twice I contacted the sender and asked WTF! and twice I was told the forms had been mailed to me "by accident" -- by new staff, or only meant to be sent to staff. Thanks for the unnecessary headaches, Saskatchewan government! I needed more!

    I chuckled at Jack being concerned about seeing fish having sex. Kids; they slay me.

    I'm not surprised he behaved so well at pottery class. When Everett was in NICU in Edmonton for 5 weeks after his birth, my mother came to stay with my former husband and look after Emil while Gord went to work. After 3 weeks she was beckoned home by my dad, and Emil came to stay with me in the hostel attached to the hospital. He was a dream there and in the NICU, to my surprise, and his presence also made everything, which hadn't been till then, all right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad your boy helped you get through a tough time. They can surprise us.
      It seems disabled people have more than their fair share of forms, and government workers seem confused that I don't remember what I did fifteen years ago:)

      Delete
  4. You're good at answering Jack's questions and providing reassurance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. He is so afraid of alcohol, he's seen what it's done to his mom.

      Delete
  5. I am very glad the trip was a good one and also, very glad you could take Jack to pottery and that he didn't get fussy.
    Yeah. Gracie's done a number on him for sure BUT, when you answer his questions honestly, you are helping to mitigate the damage.
    Sounds like the woman on the ground had more problems than just alcohol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure the woman on the ground had drugs in her system too, although she denied that, but she was ranting and raving. I hope she found a warm place to sleep.

      Delete
  6. The Mount looks just like a Canadian mountain should. I'm pleased you had a nice break. I used to worry when we took my young niece, who lives in a very rarefied area, around our city with it's drunks, beggers and rough sleepers, but she seemed to not notice them. Aside from the alarming bottle smashing, I think kids should see some of the other side of life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The other kids at the park just kind of shrugged their shoulders and were mostly irritated that the woman was interfering with their enjoyment of their park. It upsets Jack though because of his own mom I think.

      Delete
  7. Your approach to the world inspires me. As for that form you have to complete for "proof." WTF is right. And the teacher's strike, omg, this gov't.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad you had a good trip and that you could go to your pottery class. You deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good trip and my husband planned it all. It was excellent.

      Delete
  9. You did great things here and I thank you for writing about it!
    I can relate to Jack's fears about drunks so very much. It's too big a responsibility children carry when a parent/family member is an addict, all that covering up, pretending, hope against hope and obv guilt.
    I know all about hoops, without them, the authorities would be unable to recognise chronic allness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a lot of anger towards alcoholics too. If they're not in my family, I can be much more objective, but the alcoholics in my family messed up all of us. And you're right, so many secrets.
      The government doesn't want people to be disabled, especially for their whole life, because money.

      Delete
  10. You live in such a beautiful place. The bottom photo was stunning. You were a good person to clean up the glass and offer that woman help. And it is also good that you answer Jack's questions with honesty. Growing up today is certainly different from when I grew up. I don't want to get old...oooh, I am already old, but I wouldn't want to navigate what kids have to navigate now. One of my husband's friends from college married a Canadian woman and they live in BC. They were in Virginia visiting relatives and we met up with them for dinner. He told me that the reason many Albertans are so right wing is that they are descendants from Americans who came during the Great Depression. I don't know if that's true or not, but when you describe the premier it reminds me of MAGAs here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your husband's friend is wrong. Americans were not allowed to move to Alberta during the depression. Why are there so many conservatives here? There are many theories. Right now there is a lot of propaganda and lying going on by our provincial government. My good friend believes that islam is taking over England, according to her social media feeds. I told her that I have family and friends in England and not one of them has ever mentioned a fear of islam taking over.
      I don't know what the deal is. I believe in sharing and believe that is our responsibility. I also believe that none of us can survive on our own, so we help each other, but I also know that many don't share these beliefs.

      Delete
  11. It’s really good that Jack is asking questions. It means he feels safe to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How sad that the kids had to witness that woman! Yesterday after I picked my little granddaughter up from daycare we went to the park and I was horrified by the litter. To be fair, the bins were overflowing so maybe they need more bins but it makes me so sad that people don't take their rubbish with them. I hate to even think about drugs and alcohol!

    ReplyDelete