Some before and after photos of the rental's backyard that has been neglected for the past eight years (this one is on me and the hubby). Aspen has invaded the yard and my lord those things grow fast. The mountain ash tree is dying so it sent out hundreds of suckers it seems. The apple tree had gotten out of hand too, not to mention the fact that the renter had not cut the grass in the last two years (I know, we should have inspected the property on a regular basis but we didn't). Steve would have loved the yard.
I've been depressed for the past couple of weeks, tired beyond belief, and feeling so down. Yesterday in the shower I thought, I could just drown myself, and then it hit me, Pepcid. I have reflux and I take Pepcid occasionally but I've also been taking advil for sore muscles from the yard work which means more Pepcid. One of the side effects of Pepcid for me is depression with suicidal ideation. It's a fine line between reflux and depression for me. This time depression won again. I've bought more tums and will treat the heartburn with tums again. I've stopped the Pepcid and feel better already this morning. Fuck I hate depression.
We've sold the rental house, or conditionally sold it I guess. We didn't need to use a realtor as the next door neighbor's son wants to buy it. We had cleaners come in yesterday, they'll be back today and tomorrow if need be. Apparently they've seen worse. I don't see how people can live like that. I think part of how I feel is betrayed and resentful. We went out of our way to help the young woman who was living there and this is how she repaid us. It feels like a slap in the face and we've had a lot of those.
I had three renters in my condo and the first two left if filthy. Hubby's daughter lived in the rental, rent free, and left in a huff and told us we could never see her children again. Then Gracie, flooded the place, destroyed the flooring and some drywall, walked away from all her garbage, and now this last woman. It felt like no deed goes unpunished and I think that contributed a lot to how I felt too. The past came flooding back.
One of things about people with ADHD is that they have strong feelings about justice, and all of this garbage and crap left behind from everybody else, left for us to clean up, feels unjust. I clean up my messes. I can't even imagine leaving behind the mess that was left behind for other people to clean up and I'm so tired of cleaning up other people's messes, not just garbage, but emotional messes too.
The other day Jack was asking questions about his mama and we ended up having a discussion about her addictions, her abuse of him, her arrest, his time in foster care, and what came next. I kept the discussion at a level for a six year old but I shouldn't have to have a conversation with a six year old child about shit like this and that makes me sad and angry too, cleaning up Gracie's mess.
I guess it's been a stressful month, I just didn't realize how stressful.



.jpg)
Stresses from all sides. And very much the downside of renting. People think lucky you, a rental income.. But when there's cleanup and gaps between tenants and the legal ownership responsibility, it makes selling more appealing.
ReplyDeleteIt sounds as if you've diagnosed one of your depression sources, good, and I hope Tums helps.
My husband and I are not good landlords, we're softies when it comes to a sad story. My depression is lifting thankfully.
Deletethat is the tough part with being a landlord, you never know if the tenant will take care of their space like a valued home. :( I cannot even think how Jack's brain will process the conversation but hopefully it helps him to discuss things with you.
ReplyDeleteI let Jack's other grandma know what Jack and I had talked about but haven't heard anything back from her yet. So far, I've only had one tenant who took care of our property.
DeleteIt is overwhelming when we are ethical, honest and kind yet keep getting taken advantage of. My parents often used that same saying, "No good deed goes unpunished." I guess we have to do those things for ourselves without expectation but that's HARD. (if not impossible) That's upsetting to have those sorts of conversations with a 6 year old but he has the need to know about his reality. Medications can have all sorts of strange effects that I'm not sure we even realize. Glad that you're feeling better!
ReplyDeleteI'm not one to sugar coat things, but I do try to be very gentle when talking to Jack about stuff like this. He brought it up and I'm not going to ignore his questions because it makes his mother uncomfortable.
DeleteI tend to have a lot of negative (in my mind) side effects from drugs.
I'm sorry you are feeling down. The whole landlord/crappy renter phenom is too much for me. As for Jack, I think it is always best to be truthful. Like you say, in a way he can understand.
ReplyDeleteI try very hard to talk about addiction and alcohol at his age level. I remember telling his other grandma this and she was horrified, he was too young. Apparently children as young as 2 years old can tell when their parents are drunk.
DeleteWell, thank goodness you have conditionally sold the house. That must already feel like a relief. When I saw the top picture, I immediately thought, "Ah! This must be the rental!"
ReplyDeleteI know what you mean about injustice. I think some people in life, by being inherently responsible, wind up pulling the weight for some of the others who are NOT responsible. It's the way of the world.
I think of you when I see the photos of the wild backyard. It was pretty in it's own way, but needed some trimming.
DeleteI have such strong emotions connected to injustice, makes me a good advocate.
I think it is good to talk openly, within his level of understanding, what has happened in Jack's life.
ReplyDeleteHurrah for the sale, conditional but likely to happen. I have so few people in my life I don't have anyone else's mess to clean. I do have my own, but that's another story. I also have clinical depression. I agree with you sentiment about living with it.
Depression sucks. When it gets bad I can feel it physically. I walk every day and usually walk at 5.3 km/hr, but when I was feeling depressed it dropped to 4.9km/hr. I just couldn't walk any faster. It felt like all of my limbs were moving through water.
DeleteThe sale so far is going through with a closing date just 18 days away. Fingers crossed.
Damn. I'm so glad you figured out the Pepcid thing. Does Omeprazole have the same effect on you? I think it's better than Pepcid for acid reflux.
ReplyDeleteIt is a shame that talks like the one you had with Jack are necessary but they are and I do believe you do it right.
All of the drugs that reduce stomach acid mess with me.
DeleteIt does suck that I have to talk to Jack about his life and his parents, but I guess it's better than nobody talking to him about it.
What a relief all this must be, the pecid stuff and now the sale.
ReplyDeleteMy younger self would have jumped for a place with an overgrown garden, with so much to discover and move and plant but my present day self gets the shudders just looking at your pictures.
My grandchild (almost 7) now wants to talk about death of pets and people and why pets can be put down and when do we it is the right time for it and I asked where's that coming from, and the reply was, I am getting more serious, granny.
"I'm getting more serious", too funny. It's not easy being a human being.
DeleteIt is sad that we won't let a pet suffer but will let people suffer. We do better now than in the past. We have MAID here now (medical assistance in dying). I have told my daughter that if I end up with dementia, I want to us MAID.
My old self finds gardening, heavy duty gardening, overwhelming now.
The house cleaning is supposed to wind up today.
The "after" pictures are very encouraging! Sometimes a person can't take one more thing. Its a constant feeling of overwhelm. I empathize. Could you take time for a massage? Treat yourself to something? I take gaviscon for hearburn. My GI guy had a small freak out when I said I was on pantaloc for over a year.
ReplyDeleteI get a massage every month and that helps a lot. I can't take gaviscon because it's slimy in my mouth, makes me gag.
DeleteI don't have the bandwidth to deal with "more" right now. We're getting there.
The after photos show that you certainly have made progress! It's amazing how renters have no regard for the property that they are renting. The tenant who rented my townhome finally has left (I didn't really blog about it). It was a nightmare getting him out. And he left a mess that I am in the process of dealing with before I can rent it again. He even left crap on the back patio. Just left a mess. PS: I have acid reflux too. I am on a daily medication that seems to help somewhat.
ReplyDeleteI don't understand people who leave a mess for other people to clean up.
DeleteThe Pepcid works really well for the acid reflus, it's the suicidal ideation that causes a problem for me, and the worsening depression.
I'm glad you have at least found part of the cause for your depression.
ReplyDeleteShortly I will go shopping, to a well maintained and clean area. At some point I will see an abandoned takeaway coffee cup sitting on a bench, maybe a soft drink can, perhaps a wine bottle, the last being more understandable. A cigarette butt will be stamped out next to a rubbish bin. How can someone get up, and leave rubbish when there is a bin a metre away?
When I walk at the dog park I see a dog poops left right beside the garbage bin. WTF.
DeleteI’m so glad you will soon be free of the rental mess, and am glad you may get some relief from the depression. You are going through so much. Much love. ❤️
ReplyDeleteThe rental mess is almost dealt with, closing on the house in 18 days, fingers crossed.
DeleteHooray for the sale (fingers crossed it goes through without any glitches). The talks you have with Jack are so important especially as everyone else seems to have lied to or betrayed him. Children are more resilient than we give them credit for and can see through the BS a mile away.
ReplyDeleteHe's a tough little kid and also an easily hurt little kid. He has a lot of big emotions to deal with. I get angry when I think about what my son and Gracie have put this kid through, just because they had unprotected sex. Jack deserved better.
DeleteYou will be the one Jack trusts. Everyone needs that someone. Sorry about this shitshow but happy you realized the source. Yikes.
ReplyDeleteI hope he trusts us. Shitshows abound:)
DeleteYou have a lot of heavy stuff on your plate right now. At least selling the rental property will eliminate one of them. Self care is so important at times like these. I hope you are able to give yourself some of the care you so generously give to others.
ReplyDeleteI start my pottery course again tomorrow, that's my self care, and walking the dogs:)
DeleteI have just caught up on your last week - wow, what a lot to deal with. Very glad you were able to pinpoint the depression trigger.
ReplyDeleteMe too. Now I need to make sure I don't do it again.
DeleteIt’s all rather cute
ReplyDeleteWhat's cute?
Delete