Friday, July 10, 2026


There are a fair bit of mushrooms sprouting up, the fruiting body of fungi, right now.  We had another huge rain this morning.  I woke up to the sound of the rain thundering on the roof and then the thunder.  I checked the basement and no more water than previously.  Thankfully.  I'm very, very slowly plugging away.  Very slowly.  I need to emphasize the slowly because I still find it kind of overwhelming.  The smell is receding though and a lot of water has been removed by the dehumidifier which is very cool.

I'm feeling meh.  Jack has had a good week at camp.  Next week, it's him and me all week which will be interesting.  Last night we went to the playground which just reopened two days ago.  He was on his electric scooter and going far too fast, 19 km/hr.  A little boy moved in front of him on the pathway and Jack ended up bailing and hurting himself.  The scooter is grounded and there was a long talk about speed, reaction time, making mistakes, accidents, other people on the pathways, and personal responsibility.  Jack ended up with a big bruise and abrasion on his leg but the other boy was not hurt thank goodness.

There is no sunshine this morning which probably explains the meh, plus I'm having a terrible time falling asleep.  

I took Katie to her meet and greet with a new doctor yesterday and when we arrived, found out the appointment had been canceled.  They had tried to contact me but left no messages and when I called back, nobody answered the phone.  Sigh.  On the upside, I didn't cry or get upset.  Katie was happy to see me and looks good.  I cut her hair just before we left on holidays and it's grown out a little and looks lovely.  It's short again and slightly curly.

There are many things I want to write about, Medusa, women's rage, books (The Road to Tender Hearts and Revenge of The Tipping Point), aging bodies, and other things that of course as soon as I sit down to type, disappear out of my head (that might be one of the things).  But for now I need to go back downstairs and do a little work before I head out to the pottery studio this afternoon.  



21 comments:

  1. That's great that the water damage and smell are receding. I'm envious of your rain! We need some since wildfires are springing up in several areas of my state. E-scooters and bikes scare me, even when I'm on the e-bike. I don't go fast, but they are still quite powerful (and heavy). Did you love The Road to Tender Hearts as much as I did?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved "The Road to Tender Hearts", in fact I got the name from your blog. It was funny, and sad, and heartbreaking. I loved the cat. I loved all the characters. I had been looking for it and found it in a tiny bookstore in Tofino.
      Tonight Jack rode his bike instead of the scooter and did a great job.

      Delete
    2. I'm so glad you enjoyed it. I didn't expect to love it as much as I did. That cat!!

      Delete
  2. I'm glad Jack is learning young about safe driving. Those scooters are faster than a kid realizes, and need rapid reactions.
    I must check the reading you mention. Always up for new ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both books are wonderful and I would highly recommend. Sometimes it seems like humans spend our whole lives learning, if we're lucky I suppose:)

      Delete
  3. That's not a great experience with the new doctor. They should have persisted, especially given Katie's issues.
    Electric scooters are so dangerous to their riders and to pedestrians.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The staff had never met Katie before but I doubt they'll forget her:)
      The electric bikes and scooters go way to fast. I saw a guy on an electric hoverboard, riding it in traffic. He must have been doing 60km/hr. No helmet. I hope he signed his organ donor car.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad you didn't get more water damage, and I'm glad the other kid wasn't hurt by the scooter. That sounds like a great lesson for Jack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good lesson for Jack. It also meant he got on his bike, his skateboard, and ultimately his non electric scooter, all which gave him more exercise.

      Delete
  5. You have every right to be at meh frankly. Life gets overwhelming for most of us but that flood would do me in too. Plus looking after an energetic youngster when you should be winding down would be hard on anyone. That being said, you're doing a wonderful job - far better than I would ever be able to do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The basement will just take time and money. Nobody died. Jack on the other hand-he's work:)

      Delete
  6. I think that these motorized scooters and bikes are going to have to be regulated more closely with age limits. Too many injuries and probably deaths.
    Ugh.
    Glad Jack is okay.
    I think this time of year is pretty "meh" all on its own. Hang in there.
    I put a hold on The Road To Tender Hearts. Thanks!
    And the meme made me laugh for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you might like that meme:)
      That book was fabulous, especially the cat.
      E-scooters definitely need to be more regulated with hard guardrails in place to slow them down.

      Delete
  7. E-bikes frequently out number real bikes (no bias here!) on the trail we ride. It's a personal choice, but I do wish more of them would stay to the right, signal, not weave, and ride single file. We don't see that many scooters, although we recently saw an electric skate board, which is something I do not understand in the least. Hope the meh sorts itself out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm feeling better today. Meh kinda comes and goes:)
      At least people expect a bike to be going faster, but kids are riding these scooters on sidewalks and pathways. Apparently most of the injuries are to the driver of the s-scooter which is somewhat comforting.

      Delete
  8. Too bad your Pottery Studio doesn't have a Ghost like Patrick in there, that would certainly improve Mood. *Winks* Sorry to hear of Jack's crash and Katie's Dr. Cancellation... sometimes it is the smaller things that can send us over The Edge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I might be getting on the wheel a whole faster if Patrick was involved:)

      Delete
  9. Although I didn't comment on your vacation pics, I followed them and they were beauts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is a lovely mushroom however. And you are welcome to all the blazing sunshine I have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a beautiful mushroom. It's supposed to be hot and sunny this week so things may start to dry out.

      Delete