Tuesday, July 14, 2026


I turn sixty-four in September.  I've found this decade very disappointing with regards to my health.  I am now pre-diabetic, although my A1C remains stable at 6.3, so I'm happy about that.  I now have to take high blood pressure medication to reduce my blood pressure.  My last blood work showed quite high cholesterol levels, so I imagine the doc will want to start me on a statin, which I really don't want to take because of possible side effects.

I was watching TV the other day and saw an ad for Metamucil and it said that it could reduce cholesterol.  I didn't believe it so I did some research and sure enough, it can reduce cholesterol.  So I have started to take Metamucil, good for my gut health and hopefully it can reduce my LDL.  I thought I'd give it a try.

Mum died of a stroke and dad had heart disease, although that's not what killed him.  Dad was the youngest boy and he was lucky enough to get open heart surgery in the mid seventies which probably saved his life, so cholesterol is a concern.

My arthritis continues to add new joints to it's roster.  Both knees are having a hard time, along with toes, fingers, back, neck.  So far my shoulders and hips are okay.  All of my mum's family had arthritis and one of my sisters has arthritis quite badly, requiring joint replacement.

I've noticed a marked decline in my short term memory which is frustrating.  I'm making an effort to be more mindful when I'm doing things but that is only somewhat helpful.  My memory which was always so good is not nearly as good as it once was.  Of course, I worry I have dementia but according to my research, it looks like ordinary aging.

My kidney function is declining as well which means that blood pressure and blood sugar need to be closely monitored to preserve my kidney function.  It also means that I should not be taking ibuprofen for pain, which is my go to for pain.  Sigh.  And because of my blood pressure medication, I can't take cold medicine which means I am dreading the next time I have the flu or a cold.

Massive biomolecular shifts occur in our 40s and 60s

"Although much research has focused on how different molecules increase or decrease as we age and how biological age may differ from chronological age, very few have looked at the rate of biological aging. That so many dramatic changes happen in the early 60s is perhaps not surprising, Snyder said, as many age-related disease risks and other age-related phenomena are known to increase at that point in life."

There is so much new information about the human body available, compared to when I graduated from nursing school forty years ago.  It's quite shocking actually and I find myself constantly trying to keep up with what has been newly discovered.  Bodies aren't that different from machines, they require upkeep and preventative maintenance to extend their life span as long as possible.  

So I'm lucky.  I have age-related diseases.  I made it to 64, older than my four friends who all died of cancer in their 40's and 50's.  But I don't feel lucky.  I want to have my younger body back, the body that could sit on the floor and get up easily.  The body that could eat whatever it wanted.  The body that I never worried about.  I'm not alone though, I imagine all people feel like this.  Even though I knew it would happen, it's still come as a shock.






33 comments:

  1. The whole getting old thing really is sometimes a hard pill to swallow. I have a birthday coming up next month, and it is a big one....70! I cannot believe I am even writing that number. I am on a statin too, but I have been on it since I was in my late 40s. It has really helped my cholesterol. My dad died young from heart disease so I try and do everything to fight it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe a statin would be ok then. It's good to hear from other people what their experience has been. I can't believe you're going to be 70. You don't look it.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Pixie. I feel old today and you saying I don't look as old as I really am made the day better! I think I take after my mother as she's 91 and doesn't look her age at all.

      Delete
    3. Both my husband and I, 94 and 84, have been taking statins for many years and never had any noticeable side effects. So I'd say it's worth trying; you may be one of the ones who has no problem with them.

      Delete
  2. Unlike you, I am not a medical professional and thus remain somewhat clueless. But I do have a terrific doctor and I, like you, am focused on being as healthy as I can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always want to know what's going on. I always wanted to know with my patients and I want to know with myself as well.

      Delete
  3. Last year at this time I was pleased that I took no daily medications and had nothing more than than the occasional neck migraine to live with. I assumed this state of excellent health would continue into old age while all around me, friends and family were getting knocked down or taken out.
    What have I learned since then? Shit's gonna happen, no matter how positive your expectations and beliefs are, no matter how hard you try to avoid it.
    What I need, I figure now, is courage. "Have courage, Kathy," my neighbour friend said years ago. This may be the best advice ever given to me and I sincerely pass it on to anyone having a rough time. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life can change on a dime and that's what scares me I guess. I want to be in control of my outcome, as if that's possible:) I shall try to have courage instead.

      Delete
  4. Whatever your health condition, you live in a country and at a time with constantly improving medical support. I for one would be dead by now had I been born a mere 20 years earlier.
    I have had my fair share of medications over the years, and it was a difficult start. I always thought it was some sort of moral virtue to not have to take any drugs - apart from coffee, obviously. My main drug these days apart from the prescription stuff on my table - is moving this body, preferably outdoors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My paternal grandmother died at 55 from a stroke. My paternal grandfather died at 77 from a stroke. My mum died from a stroke. It scares me I guess. I know mum was terrified of having a stroke and I am too.
      We are fortunate though to live in a time with modern drugs that can help postpone an untimely demise, you're right. And I'm glad the drugs you take have been invented, otherwise I wouldn't have gotten to know you and I'm so thankful I have:)

      Delete
  5. I know what you mean. I went from having perfect numbers and eating and doing what I want to limitations and worries. Ibuprofen messes with my liver, my cholesterol is higher than it should be, and I continue on my b/p medication. I'm pre-diabetic too. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My sixties have been the worst health wise for me. I believe Metamucil is made from psyllium husks. At my doctor's suggestion to reduce cholesterol, I sprinkle a desert spoon of the husks on my cereal each morning. I do take medication as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping the rest of my sixties doesn't have any more surprises for me:)

      Delete
  7. Welcome to the Ga-Ga Club Nurse Pixie. Sometimes I feel as though I am living on borrowed time but my general health is better than many people of my age experience and I am very grateful for that. My father died at 65 and two of my brothers at 62 and 67. Tomorrow I am off for a seven mile country ramble in the sunshine at the age of 72.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good that you ended up with meds for your blood pressure and that your weight is under control now. Makes life easier and makes walking easier, which I know you love to do.

      Delete
  8. I worked for 40+ years at the National Institutes of Health, including an 8-yr stint at the Institute on Aging. We had a saying: life is like a horse race. All the horses start out at the gate in exactly the same position but they end the race widely scattered. (We had a more elegant, shorter way of saying that but you get my point.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life, environment, genetics, they all play a role in how we age. I am thankful that I am relatively healthy.

      Delete
  9. Come next month, I turn 83 ... whut? See my picture <--- I'm still waiting for my hair to turn gray! I have a few silver strands but they are barely visible! I take Lexapro for anxiety and Lasix for edema and an eye drop every night at bedtime to slow down glaucoma!
    The edema is due to an allergic reaction to a thyroid medication that I did not need but a doctor ordered ... I figured she knew what she was doing! She did not!
    Anyway ... I'm in better shape then both of my sons and one of them is homeless!
    There is diversity in aging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I worked in health care so of course I only saw unhealthy older people. There are so many healthy older people, which I hope to remain:)

      Delete
  10. As a wise man once told me, "Aging is not for sissies." Still, when I fill out a medical form where you check off any conditions, I don't even recognize a tenth of the things that I could have, but don't. And for that I am very grateful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very fortunate that I've been healthy all my life, despite my mental health.

      Delete
  11. Yes, we're all reaching our BBD, aren't we!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should be checking the small numbers imprinted on my side to see exactly what my BBD is:)

      Delete
  12. Oatmeal is also good to keep cholesterol down. I try to exercise every day and eat healthy food — I figure every little bit helps. But I’m lucky, I’m 86 and my only job now is to stay as healthy and happy as I can so my daughter doesn’t have to worry about me. You are doing so much. 🤞😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't eat very healthy which is my biggest problem but that's not going to change. I have a hard time with textures and flavours in my mouth.

      Delete
  13. One gift that you may not always appreciate is that little boy that you are raising. He will give you purpose and keep you young.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If he doesn't kill me:) He has a black eye right now because he banged his face on a piece of metal at the playground.

      Delete
  14. Stroke and heart issues are what felled all my relatives, so I'm very attentive to heart and vascular health. No bad effects from statins, just good ones. I take various bp meds, and other stuff, and have maintained good health. Moving helps, too, and having interests. You can't avoid stresses in life though, just manage them as best you can.
    I was glum in my sixties, but life has improved quite a bit since then! Hang in.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I sure understand wanting your younger body back. My father was diabetic and both parents died of heart failure. My mother had terrible arthritis in her hands and so do I. I lost memory with brain damage 15 years ago but I have been having trouble remembering small things now. I blame it on the bloviating bastard some call president. You are active and have social interaction which is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm active but I can't do as much as I used to, like every other person in the world who is dealing with aging:)
      The dumpster fire that is American politics right now is too awful to even think about. Open killing of people on the streets by ICE, WTF?

      Delete
  16. I turned 64 this month and have the same issues. Let's keep as well as we can.

    ReplyDelete