Thursday, March 28, 2024


It's snowing, again.  It snows, it melts, it snows, in a seemingly endless springtime loop.  The dogs don't mind though.

Jack came home from his mom's on Monday at suppertime.  He was horrible, yelling, hitting, anxious.  The next day, after a good night's sleep, he was back to his old self.  Makes me wonder how he is with his mom. 

I worked three days in a row, something I haven't done since December, and I was beat last night.  I barely had the energy to eat supper and then crawled into bed at 8:15pm.  Sleep was lovely and I feel like a human being again.

We had enough staff yesterday, because I switched my days off and a good thing.  We had one very non compliant lung biopsy patient who kept crawling out of bed to go for a smoke outside.  The young nurse who worked in emerg for years, said the guy looked like he was going to go into delerium tremens on us, pale, sweaty and shaky.  Fortunately for us, he left before his time was up and just walked out while nobody was looking, before he could go into withdrawal.  He even left with his IV in place.  He also had a small pneumothorax.  As the same young nurse always says, "You do you."  We're not the police.  I don't sweat it anymore, they're all adults.  The worst part of the whole thing, he was an old nurse.

Then another patient had a twelve minute long seizure in the MRI scanner.  She had a GBM, removed last October and has light triggered seizures.  To be honest, it was the worst seizure I've ever seen and it took four of us to prevent her from hurting herself. The hardest part was keeping her from banging her head and arms on the MRI bed which has some hard, plastic parts to it.  When it was over and she'd been seen by her oncologist, and rested, she left with her son.  She was fine.  She'd also crawled over the bedrails, gotten dressed and was waiting for me when I returned with a wheelchair.  She didn't need the wheelchair.  I was so thankful to see her looking so well.

We also had a retirement luncheon for the CT manager, all of this mixed in with what felt like hundreds of tough IV starts.  The woman retiring asked me to sign her canvas photos for her, which touched me.  I will miss her.  She was a lovely, calm, hard working woman and a good manager.  

That's life this week.  This weekend, the big guy and I are heading to Jasper with the dogs for one night.  Everything has been arranged with Jack's other family, fingers crossed, they follow through.  The big guy and I haven't been to the mountains by ourselves in years and I can't wait to take some photos again.  Even better, it's supposed to be 8C and sunny.  


19 comments:

  1. I could not do your job. I simply could not. It is no wonder that three days of it in a row exhaust your very soul and marrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just too much for me now, but I still love it, for the first five hours anyway:)

      Delete
  2. That was a stressful 3 days. You deserved a long rest in bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was just the last day that was so stressfull. It always amazes me how restorative sleep is, thankfully.

      Delete
  3. I do wonder, and I'm not asking, really, but what the heck happens when Jack is with his mother? It's like he gets a personality transplant. Here's hoping that eases with age and maturity. Have a great trip, that will be delightful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine Jack is ignored and or yelled at when he is with his mom. She also has no schedules in her life, nothing predictable for a child.

      Delete
  4. Hope you have relaxing break away from routine, although one night is too short!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One night is all we could manage this time and it's the first time Charlie has been on a long car ride, or slept in a hotel room. Plus, Jasper is so expensive now.

      Delete
  5. Have a wonderful, fun and relaxing time in Jasper! Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The mountains or the ocean (or both) are comforting and beautiful. I hope you get to go! Younger daughter and her ex now have a (sort of) shared custody arrangement and it will probably end up like yours. Unless his mother helps, Ex will be terrible and although it's good for YD to have time for herself, it's not so great for the baby to be with his "father."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The devil and the deep blue sea, isn't it?

      Delete
  7. “ he has capacity “ that is the phrase du jour

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, he is allowed to be stupid and careless.

      Delete
  8. "I feel like a human being again..." Who? Perhaps boyish Justin Trudeau or the one that all mature women seem to lust after - George Clooney?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. George looks just like my brother, so no thanks, and Justin is too young. It was a very good sleep though:)

      Delete
  9. I hope you're having a great time in the mountains! It sounds like a challenging week, for sure. I can't imagine craving a cigarette so much I'd leave the hospital with an IV in my arm after a lung biopsy. Good Lord!

    I'm stating the obvious here, but maybe Jack isn't getting enough sleep when he's with his mom...? That would definitely help explain his behavior shifts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm guessing he was craving alcohol too.

      Lack of sleep is a very good observation, and you've never had kids. She keeps him up late and makes him sleep with her, so she doesn't get enough sleep.

      Delete