Saturday, July 29, 2023

It was a busy week at work and I'm still tired.  Jack is still awful when we pick him up from his mother's.  Gracie's sister is still in denial about the effect Gracie is having on Jack.  We wait for Gracie to start drinking again.  It will happen, sadly.

Below is the park behind our house.  They're digging it up to build a Francophone school.  The neighborhood kids can't go to it, only children from Francophone homes.  Ninety percent of the children will be bussed in and the neighborhood park is gone.  Progess?

I saw this lily when I was out for a walk with Charlie.  It was huge, the flower larger than both hands put together.


A seal pup from our trip in June, left on the beach for safekeeping as it's mother went off to hunt.  I find it shocking how good the camouflague is.  My husband almost stepped on it.

A bald eagle we came across on our trip, in Clayoquot Sound.



 

12 comments:

  1. Beautiful animals! That's sad about the park and I'm not sure why non-Francophone families can't send their children to the school. After all, isn't it valuable for everyone to speak another language? But no one asked my opinion, as usual. :) It is so sad about Jack's situation and the inevitability of his distress and Gracie's eventual drinking. You can see it coming like a train wreck but can't do anything about it or even get out of the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I like that first meme! It's true as well. And yes, isn't that baby seal well camouflaged -- you really have to look hard to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor Jack. I'm so sorry about this, it is so wrong. Camouflaged and still, it took a second for me to see it. We have the eagles here, they do look majestic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That eagle is strength. Just looking at it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a pisser that they tore up a local park to put in a school that the locals can't use. This is good, how?

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I first saw the picture of the Francophone school site, I thought I was looking at a lava field creeping on to the green grass. If only Canada did as much for the First Nation peoples.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do sometimes think about the strengths my ancestors have given me. I think it is a good thing to remember.
    You know how I feel about Jack staying with his mother. She may love him to the stars and back but she is not, at this time, capable of caring for him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that quote about ancestors -- so intriguing and important. I'm sorry about little Jack and the effect his mother has on him. I hope that your love and attention is redemptive for him.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a very cute seal pup! I don't know what to think about Jack, beyond saying (as I've said before) that he's lucky he has you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That lily looks like a painting. Also, such wise words.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I heartily agree with that sentiment.
    What is a Francophone school and why can't locals go? Sounds a bit discriminatory.

    ReplyDelete