Friday, June 2, 2023


We adopted a new dog last night.  His name is Charlie, so I guess I'll have to come up with a new pseudonym for my two year old grandson.  Charlie is a sweet, gentle dog who appears to be at least part Rhodesian Ridgeback.  He gave us all a lot of kisses last night.  I personally don't like dogs kissing my face, because they lick their asses, but I did manage to avoid being kissed on the lips by him:)  He and Heidi had fun playing together last night and he seems to like what was Lucy's chair.  

We had a guardians meeting this past week and it went well.  Lori, Gracie's mom, seems to understand that Gracie is mentally ill.  Gracie's younger sister, Kayla, still holds out hope for Gracie.  Right now though, things will stay the same.  Gracie visits Jack at her sister's house and Jack does not stay with Gracie in her apartment; Jack seems good with this too.  Jack loves his mom but doesn't want to live with her.  She can't take care of him; she can't even take care of herself.  We have a year to sort things out about where he'll live when he starts school.  Kayla is not healthy and finds Jack tiring to care for, but she loves him too and wants to do what's best for him.  She's starting to realize how messed up her sister is.  Kayla is young, just turning thirty this month, and doesn't have any experience with children.  She also has a hard time with me telling Jack the truth about things like the fact that his dad is in jail, or not, and that his mama is sick (mental illness is an illness).  Not my probelm though.  I'm not going to lie to my grandson to make Kayla feel more comfortable about the trauma that Jack has lived through in his short life.

Yesterday I had a forty-eight year old patient who came in for an MRI, with his mother.  He had severe back pain from a fall but it was compression fractures, not pathological fractures (caused by cancer tumors) in his spine.  The patient has a very rare form of cancer, angiosarcoma.  He stayed with us for awhile, until his pain killers kicked in and his oncologist also came and talked to him.  He's palliative now he told me (no further treatment, just comfort measures until he dies).  As I walked the patient and his mother to the door of the building, I asked the mother how she was doing.  She teared up and told me that she had lost another son to this same form of cancer and that her husband had just died in March.  I gave her a hug.  It's heartbreaking how much grief people carry around with them.

Life goes on, as it does.  I've been reading blogs but not leaving many comments.  I still find I'm very tired from being back to work but it's getting better.  A new dog will get me out and walking more which will help with the fatigue and improve my overall fitness.  Staying home for almost seven months and just getting older has really deconditioned me and I want to improve my fitness level.  I used to racewalk and I lifted weights for almost twenty-five years.  Now I just need to get back at some kind of fitness regime that fits into my life.  The exercises that the physio gave me to do for my sore knee worked wonders thankfully and also made me realize how out of shape I am.  I want to be able to keep up with Jack as I age and he grows up.

My swearing is getting worse.  We've been watching "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel" and Susie swears like a motherfucker, which I quite like.  




12 comments:

  1. SUSIE! She fucking rocks.
    So glad that things are being taken care of more realistically when it comes to Jack. Sounds like a very good idea for him to be able to visit with her but not to stay with her. God knows that child has been through enough and hopefully now he can be more settled, both physically and mentally.
    I love your new dog. He looks like a very fine boy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice looking dog, seems to be fitting in nicely with his new pack. You are wise to get back on it with exercise and weights. I'm 70, and the deconditioning seems to happen over night, getting back the fitness takes forever. At my age, one improves, but never goes back to where they were. It's good that Jack's situation will remain stable with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep at the fitness, it's hard but helps. M**********r is one of my favorites!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. He does look like part Rhodesian Ridgeback; a friend of mine has a full one with a very prominent ridge. Nice dog. It sounds like the situation with Jack is going as well as can be expected. There are so many tragic stories in this world and people deal with too much. :( It breaks my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful dog, I hope he will bring lots happy liveliness to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Charlie sounds like a big sweetie! Yes, exercising him will get you out walking more, that's for sure! I've been intending to watch "The Marvelous Mrs Maisel" since it first started but haven't gotten around to it yet. Must get to it this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you got another dog. I'm sure all that love and affection are just what the doctor ordered! And I love the Marvellous Mrs. Maisel too (especially the clothes and New York Jewish humour)!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Charlie the dog looks like he will take YOU walking, rather then you taking him!! LOL
    What does Jack think of this very large pup?
    So nice to have you update us on what's going on in your life! Hugs to you and Jack and a pat on the head to Charlie the dog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Charlie looks like a sweetie! I’m so glad Jack has you and the big guy.
    Xoxo
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  10. We loved "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel." Charlie is adorable! And yes, having another dog will definitely get you out and about more, as you know. I'm glad Gracie's family members are coming to terms with her illness, even if it is to varying degrees.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've enjoyed Mrs. Maisel too and make sure you watch Alex Borstein's own stand-up show. She will surprise you -- in a good way.

    It came on, on Prime Video, just before the last one or two episodes of Maisel.

    -Kate

    ReplyDelete
  12. Charlie has certainly fit right in! Perhaps life will be easier for Jack and you now that the other family is coming to a realization of Gracie's mental illness. That meme made me laugh!

    ReplyDelete