Monday, January 23, 2023


Once again I feel like a piano is tied to my ass.  We've decided to sell our condo and use that money to pay down the mortgage. I hate dealing with realtors, renters and appointments, maybe that's what's bugging me.  There's also no sunshine this morning, so there's that.

Poor Jack has had accidents the last two nights which have upset him.  Plus he's got sore legs from running so hard and playing so hard on Saturday.  I've never seen an almost four year old limp from sore muscles.  He wants us to carry him.  Dude, you weigh forty pounds.  

Jack seems to be entering a new phase right now and has become more diffiuclt at times.  He is very articulate and I think people (his grandparents) probably expect more from him because his is so very good with words, but he's still a little guy. Almost four year olds are supposed to be stubborn, bossy and defiant; it's part of normal development.  He's also starting to understand how powerful words are and uses them like a weapon at times, also normal.  Last night he was mad at me and pulled some leaves off a plant of mine.  On Saturday I told him it was time to leave the playplace and he pulled my hair, hard.  He drives his poppa crazy with the Lego.  His poppa builds the Lego and Jack literally destroys it.  He doesn't understand that it shows a lack of respect for his poppa's time and energy, but Jack only wants  something built so he can take it apart.  It's the destruction that he wants.

I mentioned to somebody (Debby) this weekend that I only want peace and quiet.  If I want peace and quiet, it's up to me to do that, not others.  I need to put limits on what others can expect of me, including Jack and his poppa.  I really do want a peaceful life where a dog walk in the afternoon is not something requiring a lot of planning but rather something I can just slip out and do.  I take good care of everyone else but not me, something which is looming large with me with my return to work in March.  These past five months of staying home, while boring at times, has greatly reduced my stress (except for my son and his families) and I want to keep that in my life.  Work can be very stressful at times, who am I kidding, most of the time.  Plus there is everything around the house that still needs to be done.  I did it before but not sure how I feel about doing it again.  Resentful maybe:) 

30 comments:

  1. When our lives are crazy and there are so many demands on our time, the ability to find moments of peace and quiet is invaluable. And easier said than done. Is there a way to carve out a definitive schedule--like from 7-8 p.m. I'll be reading or quilting or something that brings pleasure? I've found that without a specific schedule I get lost in the shuffle. My older grandson is quite willful and also very articulate. It makes people think he's more logical and rational than he actually is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, small children, even if articulate, are definitely not logical or rational:)

      I need to say no more often.

      Delete
  2. It's hard to realise how confusing and enormously difficult the adult world and adult expectations are for a four year old. "He doesn't understand" - yet. You got it. I hope you find at least some small corners of peace and quiet now and again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my job I guess, to say no and mean it.

      Delete
  3. I am someone who has no problem setting limits so I don't know what to say to be of help, other than you are aware of it. Jack has extenuating circumstances that are probably affecting his behavior. This is a tough position to be in. I feel for you and wish I could help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about this after I posted it. I never did set proper limits with my mother, so I had a problem with limits after all.

      Delete
    2. I had to chuckle. I can say no to some people but not others, but I think mostly I feel like a doormat.

      Delete
  4. Women are raised to be the uber-givers, the martyrs, the comforters and carers. ALL THE TIME. And you know what? That's bullshit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear you. I hope you are able to maintain some quality "me time" in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I worked for many years in care and I've seen this so often - grandmothers left to pick up the pieces in difficult circumstances. You have my sympathy in these trying times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John. Is that why we grandmothers I wonder. Perhaps, I never knew mine.

      Delete
  7. I can fully understand your feelings of resentment as you face years as Jack's carer when you should be planning for retirement. Once again, all I can say is you have my utmost respect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie and Jack are vulnerable people, I can't just walk away from them.

      Delete
  8. While I adore my grandson I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to take care of him 24/7 so I take my hat off to you. And yep, I get the longing for peace and the feeling of resentment. Are you any closer to retiring?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Peace and calm is one part of growing older I tend to enjoy. Sometimes too much. I hope you get your balance.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I will be happy when I read that you have retired. You've done your bit. Retirement won't solve all the problems, but (as you have discovered these past months) it will significantly reduce your stress. And that's key.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been finding peace and calm every morning. I get up about 1/2 hour earlier than I need to and in that time make coffee, write a bit and sometimes even watercolor. Then Sophie usually wakes up or I get stuff ready for the caregiver and then have to get ready myself for work. The half hour, though is glorious and has become a habit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a good way to get some quiet time but I'm not willing to get up at 4:45 on work days. It takes me so long to fall asleep now, hours, that I only want to sleep in.

      Delete
  12. This Post really resonates with me. Just being able to slip out and do what brings me Bliss, Peace and Quiet, shouldn't need so much orchestration and Planning... I agree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It shouldn't be so hard. I'm amazed you haven't lost your shit:)

      Delete
  13. Jack has discovered a new power with his words and maybe he will settle down once he realises that everybody else also has words?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a developmental phase but it still stings. I don't imagine his mama will cope with it very well.

      Delete
  14. What a great phrase -- "I feel like a piano is tied to my ass." Thanks! I'll have to use it soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know where I first heard it but it's quite descriptive.

      Delete
  15. You are absolutely right to take time for yourself and take care of your own happiness. Get some "alone time" (with the dogs) and enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete